Ray Trace & Sliding Glass Doors Shown Open

blackhawkdesign

Hi there,

I am trying to ray trace a living space that is open to a rooftop terrace with one of the the glass sliding doors shown open. I am ray tracing it as an outdoor raytrace and at sunset.post-10135-0-17746800-1455309466_thumb.jpg I am having no issues at all with the glass door that is shown closed. The issue is with the door I am trying to render showing open, and specifically where the two glass panels overlap. The glass surrounding the overlapped area on this door is also fine, just the overlapping area.  Part of it stays very pixelated even after rendering overnight, while the rest of the render appears perfect. Any suggestions of settings I could change to fix this? I tried removing some lighting, this did not seem to have an impact.

I appreciate any suggestions! 

I've attached the sample render so you can see the issue.

Thanks!

No answer but there is definitely a major issue as to how multiple layers of glass are handled. The attached raytrace render has three panes of glass as a room divider. Where things look proper there is no overlap, camera is looking through only one pane. The completely blacked out region is where all three panes overlap. Where there is a 2 pane overlap the main interior is ok but the window is grayed out. As Trump would say "This is a real Mess"​. Anyone have a solution?

Graham

post-4793-0-47363900-1455317788_thumb.jpg

Blackhawk I'm not able to see any of the pixelation or distortion that you are talking about in the image you attached. So i'm not sure what you're referring to there.

I tried to recreate the problem that TKA displayed (the black box) in their attached render by stacking a bunch of windows in front of one another, but I wasn't able to recreate the problem. (attached the quick render I did).

Would either of you be able to attach a copy of your plan so I can try to fix and/or recreate the problem you're having?

post-5277-0-51419100-1455336586_thumb.jpg

Barrett - on my simple model it makes a difference if the camera is exterior versus interior view. Problem still exists when photon mapping is turned off. Also if you look closely at the cabinets within the darkest band (triple pane overlap) you can see that there is also some type of magnification thing going on.

Graham 

post-4793-0-00483000-1455387936_thumb.jpg

Have you noticed anything glaringly obvious in the dbx for each camera, interior vs. exterior that could be the culprit? Because it certainly is behaving correctly from the exterior view. I'm hoping this doesn't have to be another thing chalked up to "well that's just how CA is for now" >< Can you attach a copy of that sample box plan that you are rendering from? I'd love to poke around in it and see if I have the same problem.

When I've had to deal with issues like this and don't have time to get the whole thing figured out before I have to get it to a client, I will do two raytraces and merge the "good parts."   In your case, I'd take the "correctly shown" glass from the raytrace with the sliding doors shut, and copy that glass into the sliding doors open raytrace.  Or temporarily take out the sliding doors and just put a single giant glass window across the opening so that you have the glass with the proper backdrop to "harvest" wherever you need it for the "doors open" raytrace image.  It'd take a few minutes messing around in photoshop or similar program, but it'd get the job done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blackhawk I'm not able to see any of the pixelation or distortion that you are talking about in the image you attached. So i'm not sure what you're referring to there.

I tried to recreate the problem that TKA displayed (the black box) in their attached render by stacking a bunch of windows in front of one another, but I wasn't able to recreate the problem. (attached the quick render I did).

Would either of you be able to attach a copy of your plan so I can try to fix and/or recreate the problem you're having?

The pixelation is present on the bottom portion of the Glass slider where the two doors are overlapping, in the area around the where the table and chair is. I was able to eliminate most of it by ray tracing it for an obscene amount of time. In cases where I am short on time this will be tough to do. I tried switching the doors to open in a different way, moving the overlapped panels to a different place thinking maybe it was just the table and chairs (too many things behind it slowing down the ray trace) and I still got the same issue in the new location..

• 2 months later...

I am still having this issue... See latest example.. In this case, two layers of glass is appearing fine, but anywhere where there is three layers it is just a black box (see the railing)..... This is with Photon mapping off. It doesn't seem to make a difference. There has to be a reason. 

post-10135-0-84237200-1462468198_thumb.jpg