Terrain Best Practice Input Requested

cnaeger

Hello Team,

Have been trying to import a plot plan and wanted to see if the team had some best practices.

Background

• Have a plot plan in dwg format with a variety of layers
  • perimeter was disconnected, and not a closed polygon
  • contour lines exist and elevation points
  • labels exist of elevation height of points and contour lines

Actions taken in Autocad

• Created closed polygon for terain perimeter

Action in Chief Architect

• Imported dwg and mapped layer containing perimeter and contour lines respectively
  • Terrain Perimeter looks pretty good

Questions?

• What is the best way to associate the actual elevation data to the contour lines?  Right now when I look at the lines in Autocad it appears they are at a z-depth of 0.
  • Is there a way to associate this data so it comes across on import?
  • Or should I just enter the data manually in Chief Architect
  • Also it appears that Chief Arch needs at least 2 lines and then uses this as ref for building the terrain (i.e. most of the elevation data is around 1455 ft)
  • Is this the right approach or should I be doing something different to import this data?

Thanks,

Chad

I've messed with trying to import surveyor provided data into CA and from my experience (as taught to me by Glenn W) its better to:

1. Export dwg file into simple lines.

2. Import into CA.

3. Create standard terrain - make larger than site.

4. Create terrain specification to act as "site" model within the larger terrain model.

5. Move/Create/Modify corners and lines of terrain specification to match imported PL coordinates. I personally just "outline/trace" over.

6. Use Elevation Spline to trace over topo lines/data

7. Set the correct elevation data for each spline - make sure to set terrain for "linear" representation.

I know CA can do some "intelligent" import of data, but my experience thus far tells me its much faster (and more reliable) to rebuild the info in CA as noted above.

First you have to check in the AutoCAD lines that are going to import as contours have z value not the zero value which is the default. Chief imports those lines that have their z values as elevation line when you properly assign those layers as "elevation data" and the closed poly line as "terrain perimeter". Having said that I see chief is exactly importing the DWG origin at the origin of chief workspace, if you have some trouble with later please let me know so that I will explain what I think would be helpful to translate the data using the line tool. Second one is about points, Points are imported as a .txt form in chief in a number of ways and arrangements like, #,x,y,z and description as you may want it to appear after importing. This wizard has a step that would prompt to choose the point you want to import as a chief origin (0,0,0). Just trying to brief what I thought it will be helpful about terrains.

What is the best way to associate the actual elevation data to the contour lines?  Right now when I look at the lines in Autocad it appears they are at a z-depth of 0.

Chad,

Select the imported contour lines and convert them to Elevation Lines and assign an elevation height to them. 

Chad,

Select the imported contour lines and convert them to Elevation Lines and assign an elevation height to them.

Not necessary to assign an elevation to contour lines if they were imported with the elevation data. Already assigned to contour lines.