3D Object From A Picture?

CarolynRose

Hi, 

I am working for an interior designer and new to this world of 3D design. My boss wants me to make a 3D model of a room and put the furniture she wants into the room. For example a particular bed. Is there any way to quickly take a picture of a bed and make it a 3D model? Is there a software that can do this? I've been using Google Sketchup to make the objects and importing them into Chief to arrange the space. But it took me 10 hours to make a coffee table. I've tried using the Match Photo tool in Sketchup, but with no success. Any tips/advice? 

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,

This is a job for Photo Shop.  The first thing you need to consider is the viewing angle or multiples angles you would need for your visulaization purposes.  As you setup your real life furniture piece, you will need to orient your real time physical angle of shot accordingly.  Thinking about your future Chief Architect camera oreintation may be important to you too, as you will later set the Chief Architect camera distance above the floor for your interior room views.

Take the photos of the furniture pieces at the desired angles and with the desired lighting that you need, with a digital camera.  Import into Photo Shop and crop.  Of course you can also play with the lighting and all the other adjustable effects while you're in the program.  Save each altered shot, and name in a naming sequnce that will make sense to you or others for cataloging purposes now and long into the future.  I have had good succes saving as a JPG, PNG and even TIFF files.  There is often some experimentation here.  Then in Chief - in the User Catalog under the Library Browser - create a new image.  There are instructional videos online that Chief offers that explain how to create new images and/or materials and import them.  

It will be that new, saved and named image or images that you can then pull into a plan view in Chief, while you keep a separate window open of a full camera view.  Move the image around until you like what you see, and voila ... the boss, is happy, the client will be happy, and you can ask for a raise!

Good Luck,

Gary Prentice

Country Lane Design

Hello Carolyn,

This is a job for Photo Shop.  The first thing you need to consider is the viewing angle or multiples angles you would need for your visulaization purposes.  As you setup your real life furniture piece, you will need to orient your real time physical angle of shot accordingly.  Thinking about your future Chief Architect camera oreintation may be important to you too, as you will later set the Chief Architect camera distance above the floor for your interior room views.

Take the photos of the furniture pieces at the desired angles and with the desired lighting that you need, with a digital camera.  Import into Photo Shop and crop.  Of course you can also play with the lighting and all the other adjustable effects while you're in the program.  Save each altered shot, and name in a naming sequnce that will make sense to you or others for cataloging purposes now and long into the future.  I have had good succes saving as a JPG, PNG and even TIFF files.  There is often some experimentation here.  Then in Chief - in the User Catalog under the Library Browser - create a new image.  There are instructional videos online that Chief offers that explain how to create new images and/or materials and import them.  

It will be that new, saved and named image or images that you can then pull into a plan view in Chief, while you keep a separate window open of a full camera view.  Move the image around until you like what you see, and voila ... the boss, is happy, the client will be happy, and you can ask for a raise!

Good Luck,

Gary Prentice

Country Lane Design

Thank you for the speedy reply Gary.

This is great. My only problem is that the only pictures I have of the furniture are images taken from the websites. And they are usually frontal only views. Is there anything I can do with that? 

~Carolyn

There are 3d scanners for things like this, but you'll spent more money and time on that process than just modeling yourself.  Though it took you 10 hrs for a coffee table, I promise each time you go through that process you'll get faster and faster.  It should take you less than 30 min to make most custom furniture pieces once you get the hang of it.

http://matterport.com/

If its not a view that you can even use - you're dead in the water.  If it is a view you can use, you can save the image off of its website as a JPG or PNG - and then mask & crop in Photo Shop, as before.  Only problem will be the graininess and loss of resolution.  But if the original has very tight pixellation - then it may work out okay.

One other thought ... would it make sense to contact the furniture manufacturer and explain that your design will be displaying and in fact recommending their product.  Then ask them if they have, and you can have access to, additional photos that may be in their archives of a particular piece?  What have you got to loose?

There are applications out there that I have seen that allow you to basically sketch your 3D profiles and then it converts your sketch to precise geometry. This is still actually modeling the object in 3D, but with the aid of software that lets you approach the process a bit more naturally for us humans.

The rub is that most of the initial programs of this type have been rather expensive. I would suggest you do a bit of research as to some of the newer applications to see if you can find something you like.

Hi, 

I am working for an interior designer and new to this world of 3D design. My boss wants me to make a 3D model of a room and put the furniture she wants into the room. For example a particular bed. Is there any way to quickly take a picture of a bed and make it a 3D model? Is there a software that can do this? I've been using Google Sketchup to make the objects and importing them into Chief to arrange the space. But it took me 10 hours to make a coffee table. I've tried using the Match Photo tool in Sketchup, but with no success. Any tips/advice? 

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

At the risk of stating the obvious... If absolute perfection isn't necessary, have you considered just finding similar furniture and modifying the size and material settings instead of drawing everything from scratch? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carolyn

There are a few online sites that sell beautiful 3D meshes of actual high end furniture.  A few can be downloaded for free, but most cost a few bucks.  I generally build the items my interior decorators require, but it is NEVER a fast process for me.  I get far to caught up in getting the UVs perfect SLOW. Your boss needs to know that what she asks is NOT a simple process.  Wish it was!

Anyway, one of the best online source for high end furniture meshes is https://www.designconnected.com/  Turbo Squid is getting more and more furniture from quality 3D artist.  If you are lucky you can find the actual piece of furniture you need like these from Barbara Baker  Note that not all TurboSquid 3D artist are equal.  Take a look at their reviews before buying a mesh.  

Good luck!

Kay