Creating Dormers That Extend Forward On High Pitched Mansard Roof?

Hyrule

Hello! I am trying to create dormers on a high pitched mansard roof. However, I'm not sure how to do this as I want the dormer walls to extend forward and rest on the roof instead of aligning with the exterior walls (see attachment). Any ideas? I can't get the floating dormer tool to work here either. 

Thanks for your help!

Monty

post-10001-0-42557500-1455144653_thumb.jpg

Monty,

How proficient are you with Chief?

I would use a floor at that level with a wall out at the edge of the proposed dormers.  Then I would move the roof planes inward so that they clip the walls.  Depending on the construction, the roof planes may form the interior of that floor or there may be knee walls inside the perimeter walls. 

You just need to trick Chief into doing what you want.

I go with Joe,

The floor extends out and the rafters sit on the edge of this floor and the dormer walls are flush with the floor band at this point.

Just did an asbuilt of this very situation.

The folks bought the house and didn't like the Mansard roof .House had walls that went to the point of the upper roof. Removed sloped lower roof and cut joists back to flush with lower wall  then over framed upper roof with a stepper pitch to achieve the colonial look the client was going for.

Also a few other things but I think you can see where we went with this project.

Have a great week ,Ken

After taking another look at the picture ,if you look back to the off set at the left side it is obvious that the chimneys are flush with the lower walls and the dormers extend out to the point of contact with the roof. The facia and Gutter give a slight illusion that the dormers  are set back.

Ken

Thank you for the help! I'm a newbie, just learning. I'll try Joe's solution of:

"I would use a floor at that level with a wall out at the edge of the proposed dormers.  Then I would move the roof planes inward so that they clip the walls.  Depending on the construction, the roof planes may form the interior of that floor or there may be knee walls inside the perimeter walls. "

Monty