Random Dimension Points In Elevation View?

WhistlerBuilder

I am trying to design this hanger airplane hanger and when I put the plan in elevation view it is taking dimension points from seemingly random locations. I need to show the top of framing, top of slab, top of footing, top of roof, etc but the dimension points are completely random in the auto dimension.

Is there a way to fix this?

Hangar.plan

I was referring to the auto dimension for the random locations. I was also referring to trying to draw the individual end to end dimensions. It will not grab on any relevant point and I have to draw in arbitrary lines and dimension between them which is too inaccurate for me.

I never use Chief's auto dimension tools. With the possible exception of Auto Exterior Dimensions, they simply require more work than it's worth in my opinion. I just use manual dimensions.

Having said that, Chief definitely has issues with dimensions in elevation in general no matter what tools you use.. It's probably at or near the top of my personal list for things that need FIXING (as opposed to a feature request or an improvement). Sometimes the dimension tool will snap properly and sometimes it won't, and sometimes it will randomly snap to an object 10 ft. away.... It's not uncommon for me to resort to using point to point dimensions because I simply cannot get something to snap.

Anyway, That's it for my rant...I would recommend just using manual dimension tools.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Alaskan_Son. I share your feelings on this. I thought there was something I was missing, but it turns out it is just a deficiency in the software. What a shock to learn that such a fundamental and important element of design software is completely broken in this version. =(

Bumping this because this is becoming infuriating. The only dimension tool I can get to work in elevation view for framing is point to point and it's snapping onto nothing at all and won't let me move it. This is ridiculous. I can't even get it close to the actual dimensions that I'm trying to get it to reflect. How has something so basic gone without fixing over how many versions? lol *facepalm*

post-5277-0-51235400-1456181160_thumb.jpg

Barrett,

In your picture, it looks to me like you are using the Point To Point Dimension tool with Grid Snaps toggled on.

The points are snapping to your grid - the way it is designed to work.

You should be able to string a Running Dimension line across all the framing - it works for me. 

Do you have Framing checked on the Locate Objects panel of the Dimension Default that you are using? 

Maybe post a plan demonstrating your problem.

I think the problem could be user error.

post-106-0-48630000-1456191234_thumb.jpg

Bumping this because this is becoming infuriating. The only dimension tool I can get to work in elevation view for framing is point to point and it's snapping onto nothing at all and won't let me move it. This is ridiculous. I can't even get it close to the actual dimensions that I'm trying to get it to reflect. How has something so basic gone without fixing over how many versions? lol *facepalm*

I use this tool all the time.  When you start your line, try to carefully start exactly where you want.

Drag the line a bit but hit Tab before releasing mouse button.

Enter length you want in the box that opens, and you have the length you want.

Hope this helps

You should be able to string a Manual Dimension line across all the framing - it works for me. 

Do you have Framing checked on the Locate Objects panel of the Dimension Default that you are using? 

That would do the trick Glenn. Double checked my settings, made sure framing was on , so on and so forth, and now I can run an end to end measurement and it picks up the windows and doors etc without getting every stud. Thank you sir. Was absolutely operator error. 

It would help yeah Jere, but I don't want to have to enter all the dimensions in manually as that would defeat the purpose of having it measure things for me :)

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2016 at 2:10 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

I never use Chief's auto dimension tools. With the possible exception of Auto Exterior Dimensions, they simply require more work than it's worth in my opinion. I just use manual dimensions.

Having said that, Chief definitely has issues with dimensions in elevation in general no matter what tools you use.. It's probably at or near the top of my personal list for things that need FIXING (as opposed to a feature request or an improvement). Sometimes the dimension tool will snap properly and sometimes it won't, and sometimes it will randomly snap to an object 10 ft. away.... It's not uncommon for me to resort to using point to point dimensions because I simply cannot get something to snap.

Anyway, That's it for my rant...I would recommend just using manual dimension tools.

Still no relief thus far (X9) for these inadequate dimension tool snaps. Even with Grid turned off, Chief's dims will locate phantom points before snapping (if you're lucky) to relevant points in an elevation or section view (also note the PITA in that I can only make a CAD line parallel to a roof plane in a section view where the roof plane is cut but not in a regular elevation view that does not cut the roof plane).

In my attached image example, I was not able to get a dimension to snap to my 9.25" beam (which is a framing item and I have my dims set to locate framing sides & centers). The image shows the proper 9 1/4" value only because I snapped the dim to the text arrow leader tip and then snapped the arrow leader to the bottom corner of the beam (how's that for a forkin' convoluted work-a-round time waster?). All other attempts to locate the bottom corner of said beam resulted in the dim locating the carriage bolts or the text arrow leader lines (and I have locate text- turned off in my dim settings) or just shooting off into space. Please fix this, Chief.

This brings up  the other ongoing issue with dimensions and the way Chief puts text and associated leader line arrows on the same layer but the text leader lines behave as CAD lines and cause all kinds of jumping around when moving nearby objects or CAD items. Same for the Bearing Line tool which I've had jump out of parallel because they followed some other item and went from xy ortho to some random diagonal relating to a moved object that it followed.

-thanks for your consideration.-bB