3D Library Site Changes

Chief_Content

I found that I already had both of these catalogs downloaded in a prior version (X6) on at least 1 of my 3 computers.  So I just exported imported them to X8. 

But that isn't the point.  SSA is supposed to include all content, not just some.

Joe,

I have not downloaded either since x3. Just kept paying my SSA. My understanding was I could download at any point that I found a need for them.

Now I feel like I have just been ripped off / pick pocketed.

It was kind of in my pocket a few days ago. Now I reach in and find someone (CHIEF) just stole it from me.

Yep Chief just ripped me off!!!

POC

Below Joey had the best answer

I think a compromise would be to give current SSA members the opportunity to download and backup what was previously included. Give us a grace period to get what we need.

I support Joey_martins solution.

The process described does not upset SSA members who have supported Chief over the years.

I think a compromise would be to give current SSA members the opportunity to download and backup what was previously included. Give us a grace period to get what we need.

I was pretty surprised also when I saw a fee on some of libraries when I was setting up my X8 beta libraries. The libraries were a major reason why I switched from Vectorworks back in 2012. This is a major mistake but lets see where they go with this. Sketchup Pro is still only $700 with lots of cool extensions. I would be ok with paying for options that other users don't need and don't want to fund the development costs...hvac duct work, better reflected ceiling plans, etc...

• 1 month later...

Well this is not a good turn of events -SSA was supposed to handle This. I agree with the people above - this is not a good move and I think this is just the beginning.

VERY DISSAPOINTED WIT CHIEF EXTRA CHARGE IDEA - NEXT IT WILL BE A CHARGE FOR USING THE WEBSITE - JUST A SMALL ONE - TO START WITH!

NOT HAPPY CHIEF!

I guess there are two ways one can see this in. As a user I want everything to be free, don't want to pay for the software, library items or my taxes. As a business I want to be compensated as much as possible for everything I do. Unfortunately like most things in life it's rare that you can have your cake and eat to. The challenge is how to strike the appropriate balance. I use these library items extensively and understand that their creation most likely involves a considerable effort in time and expertise, and as such this cost impacts upon Chiefs bottom line. Unfortunately for Chief they have a single product that provides only two revenue generating branches, the initial one shot sale and the ongoing SSA. Currently any and all costs must be borne by one or the other or some shared split. The other stradegy is the one currently being discussed, create another revenue generating branch, the library catalogs. Whether or not this is the appropriate approach is really determined from a marketing perspective, costs need to be passed on and which method will be the most palletable to existing and potential new purchasers.

Graham

........Bottom line IN MY OPINION...if you need to raise revenue, do it through the price of the software itself and not by nickel and diming us.  I want to pay once and have the whole package.

I agree.  Please keep it simple,  not only for us but for you too.  No nickel and dining.  Raise the cost of the software or SSA.  Not a good move CA.

It's a nickel and dime thing. More and more  are doing this they get you to purchase their stuff and so you do , then they decide they aren't getting enough and limit you. I know others around here who are doing the same. To me that handshake is over. Youve been burned once again by someone who did not honor what they did or said. Unfortunately this is the way society is getting. Everyone is so busy making a buck ,they forget where they come from. Thank god i instilled in my son the old ways  a deal is a deal, don't go back on your word and never break it, otherwise you're just as shallow and lame as everyone else. Don't gouge people for your own gain. Honer your word. Yes cost of business increases , Get a grip on it ,figure it out,but don't put it on everyone else who has stood by you and agreed to the original agreement.   This really ticks me off about people and business. It's like going to paint store and them saying yea we will still sell you the paint, but hey did we tell you we are now charging to shake the paint? If they had said that upfront originally would you buy your paint there?

I would also like to say ,that if you increase the ssa, current members are less likely to upgrade. Recurring memberships  will drop(in my opinion) not good for business. All La  carte library for members will only get you members not upgrading their ssa as they will have to pay for this and that, To much to deal with. Becomes a headache. However ( which seems logical to me )all new buyers of the software could pay a bit more. Also it should be noted as the cost of the program increases, so should the direction of the software . Therefore considerations should be taken carefully when the wish list on the site is reviewed, and payed attention to. These are the people using this software for business on a daily basis. Wouldn't it make sense to follow those who do it all the time day in day out? I certainly wouldn't go to a riot thinking i could handle it. Nope i would pay attention to those who do that for a living. That's what they know. Although i'm a general contractor also , I don't run all the electrical wire on a project myself, that's what my electrician does. That's what he knows .... his job. 

It has always been my policy to take possession

of what I have paid for. Unfortunately I violated my

own policy by not downloading all the content

available from Chief. As others have mentioned the

task of downloading and then accessing everything

seemed daunting so I adopted a download as needed

approach. Now, in light of these disturbing new policy

changes from Chief I felt compelled to download all

the available content. So for the last week I have spent

15 to 20 minutes a night downloading everything from

the 3D Library to a couple of DVD'S. FYI, it amounted

to just about 5.5 GB of disk space.

On a related note, I'm not sure "nickel & diming" is the

proper term for the money grab. The "specialty niche"

Crime Scene & Fire Investigation package has been

downloaded 27,675 times. @ $19.99 a pop that works

out to over a cool half a million bucks. Now, of course

there wouldn't have been near that number of downloads

if it hadn't been free, but we aren't talking about chump

change here either.

I'm conflicted, but, I'd rather see specialty library users pay for specialty libraries. Why would I want to pay more for stuff I don't want or need when the stuff I do want and need isn't being improved?

FWIW, I just paid my SSA without wondering why, now, I'm wondering why and next year will examine the benefit much more closely. 

I don't remember the cost analysis of SSA vs upgrading every 2 or 3 years but I only use SSA support a couple times a year and that takes a conscious effort.

Have been a Chief user since 8.0,  have always paid the SSA for two license and felt I got what I paid for.  Seeing this occur seems it could just be the tip of the iceberg.  Extra charge here and there (for now) whats next???  Hate to see it happen to loyal users over the years.  It's like others have said, we are SO vested in Chief that the thought is we wont go anywhere and bow down.  Maybe some will, some wont but why should it seem shady?   Next we will have to enter a dime in the slot to ask a question on Chief Talk.

I have just started a new renovation project that needed some of the items in the medical library (that I never needed before). I looked at the $20 price tag plus exchange, then went to the 3D Warehouse. I would have downloaded everything if I had a warning this was going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I can foresee us paying for chief commercial products and or residential versions in the future. So we have designer, Interiors, and premier so far. Next is the commercial world.

Which version will you choose? And how much will that cost again? Someone in marketing burn their lips on the crack pipe again? Confucius say "Diversity is a great thing , however one tends to lose focus on the task at hand".