No Tile Cutting Required - Perfect Dimensions

ChiefRedskins

I have 18x18" tile throughout the entire 1st floor(single story home). I'm wanting to adjust the room dimensions so as to create a "perfect fit" for the tile, eliminating any need for cut pieces. After spending much time adjusting, I realized no matter how I adjust for "perfect fit", tiles begin and end with cut pieces. Any trick/method to accomplishing a "perfect fit"?

Thanks!

Ron

I have 18x18" tile throughout the entire 1st floor(single story home). I'm wanting to adjust the room dimensions so as to create a "perfect fit" for the tile, eliminating any need for cut pieces. After spending much time adjusting, I realized no matter how I adjust for "perfect fit", tiles begin and end with cut pieces. Any trick/method to accomplishing a "perfect fit"?

Thanks!

Ron

No.  In my professional opinion its not even remotely worth trying to do that.

My question is whether it can be done with CA. Not whether it is worth pursuing.

If I can eliminate 100 cuts(extra labor), it's worth it to me.

Of course it's possible. Methods that come to mind…

1. Just do the math and size your rooms accordingly.

2. Create a polyline, polyline solid, floor material region, or whatever. Either make it the same size as your tile or the same size as your tile including the joint width, and then use the multiple copy tool with numbers set appropriately for both the primary and secondary offsets to create a grid work of tile in your building area. Use that grid work to lay out your walls. It might be a good idea to put that very first tile on a special layer before copying it so that you could easily group select the tiles or turn that layer on or off.

Ron,

As Michael indicated, it can be done - but unless your walls are all 17-1/2" thick (1/4" clearance from tiles to wall surface) there will be some cutting.  Of course, you can avoid that by having a "Threshold" piece at doors the width of the walls.

IAE, your rooms would have to have a clear distance that's a multiple of 18" + 1/2" for edge clearance and you also need to account for the grout space.

IMNSHO it's more work than it's worth.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

You assume the house is built right when you assume no cutting.   You can dream your little dream, but framers and and drywallers are often pretty sloppy,  things aren't square, walls are out by 1/2" here, 3/4" of inch there.   I hate following someone else into a space,  I'd rather just do everything myself so I know what to expect.

Most business's have a personality type that is a very good fit. For nursing, it is the people pleaser and fixer. For accounting, it is the type A focused nerd. For tile setting, often times it is the Heroin junkie (at least the best ones I have run into). Have you tried laying out the rooms cooked on Opiates?

And there is no Common size of a 18x18 tile, or any size for that mater, even the same brand and sku of one tile can vary dye and size lot buy up to 1/8" or more ,brands by up to a 1/4" , with that variance its a recipe for disaster anyway, any good tile guy doesnt care,  hes going to round up anyhow when he charges you by the square foot    : )