Tray Ceiling's & Trusses _ Urgent Help Needed Please!

Paramount

Chief and this model is going up on a 65" 4K in two days @ a Home Show and I don't know how to create my tray ceiling under flat trusses. I want them up or to cut a hole in the trusses. I tired it but the ceiling planes would not up cut 12" into my trusses. I also need some standard crown molding there. X8 plan attached. They are to the rear of the garage 3 in the "Flex Suite" room and bedroom to the rear of it where I have two std square polylines. If you can tell me how to do one I can do the other I hope. You will be my best friend :)

X8_ ParaFlex_Spec_2.zip

Terry:

Chief has one or more articles (Help database) or videos on doing what you want to accomplish with your tray ceiling.  I suggest you read/watch and learn.  Once you get your ceiling planes properly set up, then just drag/create your trusses as needed and they should correctly build to the tray ceiling planes.

Curt, I see. What I thought, it is not as easy with trusses I should have made ceiling planes in those areas before I created them. It appears the videos I was watching had to do with ceiling joist that created the ceiling planes and moldings automatically from polylines. I was heading down the wrong path with trusses. Thank you, I'm not going to try it this close to a public demo. My plan was closed but it is 67, 750 KB so I zipped it. Guess that does not work. 

Eric, you are the man! How did you do that? Is that my model? Fill in behind the crown? Drywall the entire box. I can't see whats going on to well with all the white in your pic. The area I am wanting to do it in is not the vault, it is the flat ceiling to the rear of the single car garage. 

Terry - build your trusses after you place the tray ceiling.  The trusses are designed to follow the envelope of the "attic" space.  If you build your trusses before you place the tray, then you will have a problem. 

I'm thinking you are right, I just tried to "raise my ceiling" per that video and it did not work. I would have to start the whole dang headache truss thang again, notta right now the only thing that will raise is my blood pressure ;)

Try selecting the trusses and open truss dbx then check the "force truss rebuild" check box. So this should end well if you have your envelope done correctly as you wanted. Hopefully you know how to quickly select all your trusses at a time,

Terry - build your trusses after you place the tray ceiling.  The trusses are designed to follow the envelope of the "attic" space.  If you build your trusses before you place the tray, then you will have a problem.

I'm thinking you are right, I just tried to "raise my ceiling" per that video and it did not work. I would have to start the whole dang headache truss thang again, notta right now the only thing that will raise is my blood pressure ;)

You don't have to worry about which one is drawn first, any time you modify the roof or ceiling, just select the trusses and check the "force truss rebuild" and accomplished. No need to redo the job as your concept of sequecial process is wrong I repeat. That is the best answer in their manual but they don't mark it here!

Terry:

Here's an article that may help you even if it's a little late for the start of your show .... from Chief's Support section of their website:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00738/creating-a-trey-or-coffered-ceiling-using-the-platform-hole-tool.html

Hope your Home Show goes well for you and that you got everything put together as needed.  I was going to try and show you a couple of different options to consider for your ceiling but got tied up with my own stuff and couldn't get back to it.  The above article goes into some of that so, if you still need some work on your plan after the show, maybe you can try out those techniques.  You've been well coached on getting the ceiling defined first, then build the trusses .... and/or use the "force truss rebuild" per Yusuf.

Curt, and everyone thank you so much for the last minute help that is the kind of support and teaming that makes CA so great! I am out of time but learned and will learn more later. I been working with Yusuf whom is a great teacher, even though we are opposites sides of the worId, so a special thank you to him.... I emailed you the backed up plan but got no idea why I got an error that alot of files are missing when I backed it up to ZIP? 

Chief and my homes are going to make a large debut starting tomorrow at the Wichita, KS Home Show in the US and I hope to get many sales :) It is my first model I am VERY pleased even if I don't get the trays and ray traces I had hope for. It has been quite a challenge. 

Off to the booth to get set up :)

Thanks again everyone and wish me luck! 

Curt, and everyone thank you so much for the last minute help that is the kind of support and teaming that makes CA so great! I am out of time but learned and will learn more later. I been working with Yusuf whom is a great teacher, even though we are opposites sides of the worId, so a special thank you to him.... I emailed you the backed up plan but got no idea why I got an error that alot of files are missing when I backed it up to ZIP? 

Chief and my homes are going to make a large debut starting tomorrow at the Wichita, KS Home Show in the US and I hope to get many sales :) It is my first model I am VERY pleased even if I don't get the trays and ray traces I had hope for. It has been quite a challenge. 

Off to the booth to get set up :)

Thanks again everyone and wish me luck!

Terry, Thank you very much for the complement. I really appreciate your effort and really, you have made great achievements in a short time.

Wish you all the best and wish success with your show.

thanks again