Slab Foundation On Grade Question...

Korel_Design

My learning curve is starting to improve here. I am totally committed to be 100% CA in a couple of months. I do have a couple of related stumbling blocks and that has to do with drawing a Concrete Slab On Grade Foundation such as many builders in Texas and Oklahoma build. It seems this software was optimized for Basements and Crawl Space Foundations. People always ask why we don't have Basements in Texas and I tell them we just put them in the Attic.

Can somebody please lead me in how to properly set my defaults so when I click "Build Foundation", Walla! A Concrete Slab on Grade is automatically drawn? Or.... like in drawing roofs and doing dimensions, forego the automatic routine and draw a foundation manually using Slab Tools?

Attached is a work in progress (Zipped File) that I will be providing a Slab on Grade Foundation for. We send the plans to the Concrete Engineers for all the detailed stuff as required by local building requirements. All I need is a surface plan such as the one provided (S2750L-5-Foundation-Layout.PDF) drawn in Brand-X Software. 

Muchas Gracias mi Amigo y Amigas¡

Jerry K.

Korel-Plan-S2400L.zip

S2750L-5-Foundation-Layout.PDF

My learning curve is starting to improve here. I am totally committed to be 100% CA in a couple of months. I do have a couple of related stumbling blocks and that has to do with drawing a Concrete Slab On Grade Foundation such as many builders in Texas and Oklahoma build. It seems this software was optimized for Basements and Crawl Space Foundations. People always ask why we don't have Basements in Texas and I tell them we just put them in the Attic.

YEAH,  I ALWAYS WONDERED TOO... DOES IT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FROST LINE

Can somebody please lead me in how to properly set my defaults so when I click "Build Foundation", Walla! A Concrete Slab on Grade is automatically drawn?

I WILL POST A VID WHEN DONE THAT SHOWS HOW I BUILT YOUR SLAB

Or.... like in drawing roofs and doing dimensions, forego the automatic routine and draw a foundation manually using Slab Tools?

I ALWAYS BUILD MY FOUNDATIONS MANUAL.  I DO REMODELS SO I NEED TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN NEW AND EXISTING,  I FIND IT EASIER TO GO MANUAL

Attached is a work in progress (Zipped File) that I will be providing a Slab on Grade Foundation for. We send the plans to the Concrete Engineers for all the detailed stuff as required by local building requirements. All I need is a surface plan such as the one provided (S2750L-5-Foundation-Layout.PDF) drawn in Brand-X Software. 

Muchas Gracias mi Amigo y Amigas¡

Jerry K.

Thanks for the post and plan....  not a great vid but there might be something you get out of it.  

https://youtu.be/leR0IIKVrPg  

Tnx! I will need to watch that a few times. Garage Floors somewhat vary in their recess. If on a flat terrain the typical Garage drop is 1.5" (2x4 form board) then slopes 2" toward the door. If the drive terrain is much lower, then we will drop the Garage a little more. Rebates? I thought that was something I sent off for when I buy Ink Cartridges. I never heard of that. Then again "Broken Arch" threw me too when we always called them Eye Brow Arches. "Brick Ledges" is the lingo here in Texas and they are formed from a 2x6 (1 1/2" x 5 1/2"). In Oklahoma and western Texas, the 5 1/2" brick ledge is dropped below grade. I'm not sure but I think they do a dual pour where a spread footing serves also as the below grade brick ledge. Someday I will need to drive out there and watch them build up the forms on a slab.

I have sold House Plans in north Texas for over 30 years and I always thought everybody used the same terminology. Then came the Internet and now I sell house plans, literally all over the earth. I can fill a room with all these home builders and we'll see a fist fight break out on the proper way to build a house and what word to call different parts.

I apologize that my Front Porch wasn't the way I intended it to be. Porches as always been another stumbling block for me. I keep thinking there is a wall definition in there somewhere called "Porch Header" and have the option to build the slab 5 1/2" beyond the header to align with a brick wall nearby.

If anybody else can add to this I would most appreciate it.

Jerry K.

........ Rebates? I thought that was something I sent off for when I buy Ink Cartridges. I never heard of that............ "Brick Ledges" is the lingo here in Texas and they are formed from a 2x6 (1 1/2" x 5 1/2").

Yeah, rebate is the term the Aussies use,  Brick ledge,  that is the terminology I am most familiar with

In Oklahoma and western Texas, the 5 1/2" brick ledge is dropped below grade.

WE ALWAYS SHOWED OUR IS 1.5' DEEP,  THEREFORE NOT BELOW GRADE

I'm not sure but I think they do a dual pour where a spread footing serves also as the below grade brick ledge. Someday I will need to drive out there and watch them build up the forms on a slab..........

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY,  BACK IN THE STONE AGE IS WAS ALL MONO POUR.

The word is Monolithic as in all one pour. We still call it that in this age.

I am experimenting drawing a Slab Foundation using "Slab". I need to figure out how to show the Brick Ledge aka Rebate. Can I draw a Poly-line on top of my Slab and do a "Rebate" or better, raising that area might be easier?

Do you think it would be easier to simply draw the Slab Foundation in 2D using CAD lines or should I draw it in 3D?

JK

The word is Monolithic as in all one pour. We still call it that in this age.

IS IT OKAY IF I CALL IT A MONO POUR?

I am experimenting drawing a Slab Foundation using "Slab". I need to figure out how to show the Brick Ledge aka Rebate. Can I draw a Poly-line on top of my Slab and do a "Rebate" or better, raising that area might be easier?

I WOULD NOT USE THE SLAB TOOL,  I WOULD DO AUTO OR MANUALLY

Do you think it would be easier to simply draw the Slab Foundation in 2D using CAD lines or should I draw it in 3D?

YES EASIER IT THE SHORT TERM BUT I WOULD ADVISE TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT CORRECTLY.

JK

I would advise you bite the bullet and learn how to build correctly.

I've already chewed through a box of 9mm and now working on 556. I searched through all the videos on the CA Support Training Videos (17 in all under "Foundation") and there is nothing on preparing a Slab On Grade Concrete Foundation. I bought the CA Reference Manual and read page 416 and have been unsuccessful in getting those instructions to work. I'm not really sure if that was for a Monolithic Slab. I'm a member over on Chief Experts and no tutorial on specifically Slab On Grade Foundations. I do not need to show any footings what so ever at all. I just need to have a drawing showing what the surface will look like and I like to dimension the roughed in plumbing and recessed floor outlets. If there is a way I will find it then do a tutorial of my own and maybe make a gazillion bucks selling it. ;) 

Thanks for everybody's input.

Jerry K.

I've experimented with a small rectangular little plan. I have my Brick Ledges showing up when I look at the slab through the Floor Camera, but when I Send To Layout, the lines depicting the Brick Ledge are not there. How to get the Brick Ledge to show up on the Layout?

Jerry K.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2016 at 3:41 PM, Korel_Design said:

I've experimented with a small rectangular little plan. I have my Brick Ledges showing up when I look at the slab through the Floor Camera, but when I Send To Layout, the lines depicting the Brick Ledge are not there. How to get the Brick Ledge to show up on the Layout?

Jerry K.

Jerry try turning all your layers on and see if the lines show. If they do you can then turn on just that layer for your plan view..