Deleting Unused Layers? Strange

VisualDandD

I impoted a DWG with two layersets.   I have since deleted all remnants of them.  They do not show as used in my dialogue, but it wont let me delete them....  They are not mapped to any specific "Chief" layers that can not be deleted.

I can delete other unused layers have created....just not those two that came in as an import.

Could this be a X8 bug?   Anyone run into anything similar?

You kinda went back and forth between layers and layersets in your post. Are they layers or layersets that you cannot delete? And can you possibly attach the plan so one of us can check to see if we have the same problem?

I am sorry.... I meant individual layers.

I fixed it but in a draconian way.   I just copied everything (leaving those two created Import layers off) and pasted into my "save as" template.   I already deleted the old file.

I am working on sprucing up my "save as" template and did not want to clog it up with any unnecessary layers that I could not get rid of for whatever reason.  

I can try to reproduce and also try to do it in X7 and see if it does same thing.   Have to make a note to do it...

[edit] plan example attached below.

OK....I repeated it real quick

Blank plan.  Imported two layers to copy an old plan.

SPWALL_OUTLINE

SPWALL_TEXTURE.

I then just closed a box in the plan to define a room.   Now turn "all off" on the layers and just select 

SPWALL_OUTLINE

SPWALL_TEXTURE.

to show on drawing.   Group select and delete all those objects from plan.

Now open Layers up and confirm that those layers are not used.   Now try to delete those unused layers.   I cant do it....  Maybe I am missing something?....

Running X8

layer exp.plan

Weird...Just tried doing it through the ACTIVE Layer Display Options dbx and here's what I found...

You can't delete the layers unless first changing your layer set or closing the display.  I think the list just needs to reset.  If you do that you can delete the layers just fine.  If you just changed layer sets instead of closing and re-opening the display you'll have to de-select the layer before re-selecting and deleting it. 

• 2 months later...

I have this same issue but I cannot remove the superfluous layers. The layers I am trying to delete are also a result of DWG imports. They act like they are system layers and  the delete option is not available in the "Layer Display Options" box. I have a title block plan that has all my settings the way I like them and I use it to start new files and update it as I work on new projects. The list of unwanted layers is ever growing and I would like to get rid of them. The methods discussed above have not worked for me. I'm using X8 on a Mac but the problem has persisted through several upgrades.

I have attached a sample file in which I have renamed the layers z through z15 just to get them out of the way as you will see. I also added some layers manually. Some will not let me delete them, others will. I thought maybe I copied a system layer and renamed it and thought that might be the reason they would not allow me to delete them.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

file:///Users/Don/Desktop/temp.plan

one of the recommendations I have seen is to always import "unkown" stuff into

a new plan, cleanup as needed then copy to the desired plan

or save to the library

sometimes these .dwg files (or .skp or ???) can have a zillion layers

Lew

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a sample file that has some unused layers that I cannot delete. Can someone please check to see if it's just me. I'm usually pretty good at solving these types of issues but this one has me stumped.

The layers are from previous imports and I have renamed them Z... to get them out of the way.

Cant delete layers.plan

Ibuttery,

Good suggestion. I'll keep that in mind for future imports.

But for now any advice on how to get rid of these current, unwanted, layers.

See file on previous post.