X8: Edit Polyline Parts

BenPalmer

Seems 'Edit Polyline Parts' has been removed or renamed and refunctioned to 'Connect CAD Segments'?.  Perhaps the 'Disconnect Selected Edge' is trying to replace the function?  I really hope we didn't lose this function as the disconnect is slower and way more clicks, and the 'Connect CAD Segments' is only when drawing new, and not editing existing.  It is good in some cases, but not all.  Will someone point me to the renamed tool or how to use the 'edit polyline parts' function in X8?

Thank you.

Seems 'Edit Polyline Parts' has been removed or renamed and refunctioned to 'Connect CAD Segments'?.  Perhaps the 'Disconnect Selected Edge' is trying to replace the function?  I really hope we didn't lose this function as the disconnect is slower and way more clicks, and the 'Connect CAD Segments' is only when drawing new, and not editing existing.  It is good in some cases, but not all.  Will someone point me to the renamed tool or how to use the 'edit polyline parts' function in X8?

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, the Edit Object Parts function is gone.  Connect CAD Segments seems to be more of a drawing tool and not an editing tool.  In other words, with Connect CAD Segments active, all CAD that you draw is connected.  Even if you deactivate the feature later, anything you drew while it was active remains connected unless you use the Disconnect Selected Edge tool.  Conversely, anything you draw with the feature deactivated remains disconnected. 

It seems like it may be a general shift in the program's overall CAD functionality.

Just read through the help file as Eric suggested and discovered there is another tool...CAD>Lines>Disconnect Edges that disconnects any line segments you select while the tool is active.  Unlike Edit Object Parts, however, it only remains active for as long as you are using it to edit line work.  Its sort of like a cross between Edit Object Parts and Select Objects (but specifically for line work) .  I went ahead and added it to my toolbar. 

The new setup might take a bit of getting used to but I'm thinking I may actually prefer it over the way it was before.  Just feels like it might be a bit more versatile and stable. 

Thank you both.  The 'disconnect edges' is what I was looking for.  The confusion is that when I imported my X7 toolbars, Chief automatically replace my 'edit polyline parts' icon in the toolbar with the 'connect cad segments' tool.  What they need to do if someone has that icon/tool is replace it with the 'disconnect edges' and things will continue on smoothly.  Hopefully this thread helps someone else as well.  Appreciate the time and feedback.

Thank you both.  The 'disconnect edges' is what I was looking for.  The confusion is that when I imported my X7 toolbars, Chief automatically replace my 'edit polyline parts' icon in the toolbar with the 'connect cad segments' tool.  What they need to do if someone has that icon/tool is replace it with the 'disconnect edges' and things will continue on smoothly.  Hopefully this thread helps someone else as well.  Appreciate the time and feedback.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't personally recommend putting the Disconnect Edges tool where the Edit Object Parts tool used to be.  Its not really the same thing and unlike the other edit tools over there its not really an edit function that you toggle on and off, its actually a tool.  It would be a little deceptive to put it over there and might cause confusion.  I think Chief was right to place it elsewhere. 

Thank you.

You had it correct" disconnect selected edge"

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't personally recommend putting the Disconnect Edges tool where the Edit Object Parts tool used to be.  Its not really the same thing and unlike the other edit tools over there its not really an edit function that you toggle on and off, its actually a tool.  It would be a little deceptive to put it over there and might cause confusion.  I think Chief was right to place it elsewhere. 

Yeah, I can see what you mean, but I have it in a different spot.  The problem with the tool is that it is tied to the CAD line group, and so when I turn it on, the cad line group goes to that as well.  That is annoying and would like to disassociate them from each other.  Might have to create my own group of tools for that to work.  

So my wish is for the tool to be separated from the CAD line parent/child association.  Definitely don't like that being tied together.  Will have to think about this.

You had it correct" disconnect selected edge"

Yeah, I actually like that for a quick line separation.  But when I want to bulk grab different parts or lines, this tool takes way to long.  So I need to: Select line, click on disconnect, then delete/edit.  But with the original tool I could toggle it on, then select multiple lines and bulk edit/delete.  This is a loss of functionality as far as I'm concerned as well as slower.

Yeah, I like the new tool for quick edits.  But I don't like that we lost the other tool because now I can't multi select different edges to delete or edit.  Unless I'm not understanding how to do that?

That's what the other tool is for...Disconnect Edges.  I'm gonna make a crappy video here shortly.

That's what the other tool is for...Disconnect Edges.  I'm gonna make a crappy video here shortly.

Yes, but it doesn't work the same.  Before I could toggle on 'edit polyline parts' and say i had a connected polyine with 6 lines, I could control + select two or three of them and delete or edit that line.  Now, with it on, you can not multiple select lines, you can only select one.  I would have to either select them one by one, and they will then be disconnected when I back out of that tool and can select what I want, or select them one at a time and disconnect them, then go back in and select them all to edit, or match properties or some other way of editing.  Let me know if I'm missing something.  Look forward to your video. :)

Okay, here's a quick crappy video.  Sorry it took so long, I actually recorded an entire video and realized my mic was off and had to record it all over again.  Hopefully I didn't miss anything the second time around. 

Anyway, at around 7 minutes, it's not quite as quick as usual, but don't worry...it's still crappy.

I didn't go over it in the video, but even with Disconnect Edges active, you can click on the end of the line nearest a connecting segment, the second segment will be added to your selection, and the 2 lines will be joined.  You can continue this process to select and add additional lines. In my opinion, I think the new toolset is an improvement over what it was before...it will just take a little getting used to. 

Had no idea that tool under CAD>Line existed. I almost never disconnect more than one line at a time so didn't find the new tools to be a problem like Ben.

Also I've NEVER used the 'Connect CAD Segments' tool deactivated in the months I've been using X8 (beta team and all) and don't reckon I ever will.

Parts of this change looks like another solution to a problem that didn't exist. Wish the devs would spend more time on more important stuff that's actually broke instead of fixing stuff that ain't.

Was there user feedback that insisted this be changed? Never saw one suggestion to that effect but sometimes the devs see some low hanging fruit that seems it needs changing without feedback from users and we get new tools to replace old tools that worked fine and that takes time from other tasks that need attention.

• Upvote 1

Had no idea that tool under CAD>Line existed. I almost never disconnect more than one line at a time so didn't find the new tools to be a problem like Ben.

Also I've NEVER used the 'Connect CAD Segments' tool deactivated in moths I've been using X8 (beta team and all) and don't reckon I ever will.

Parts of this change looks like another solution to a problem that didn't exist. Wish the devs would spend more time on more important stuff that's actually broke instead of fixing stuff that ain't.

Definitely a matter of personal workflow techniques.  The fact that lines were automatically connected by default was a longtime annoyance to me.  A major deal?  Certainly not, but an annoyance nonetheless.  I'm glad we have the option to draw them disconnected now.

The fact that lines were automatically connected by default was a longtime annoyance to me.

That's interesting and enlightening. Never once in 15 years with Chief have I wanted to draw with lines disconnected. Can't even imagine a scenario. Can you share why and when you this tool this way? Just curious.

Different strokes and all that and am happy that new tool works for you and it certainly adds no inconvenience to my work flow.

Thank Michael.  Appreciate the time you put into that video.  One thing to point out is that disconnect edge is a child of the line tool.  So when you hit 'w' the tool is there.  See screen shot below.  However, I don't like this, i want it disassociated with the line parent and back with the 'edit behavior tools' where it was before and where it belongs.  If I'm in this mode, then it overrides the line mode and I have to go back into line mode.  Which doesn't make sense to me.  My guess is that putting it there helped to turn it off automatically when switching to another drawing/editing tool.

post-71-0-33342500-1455027687_thumb.jpg

Like you, I like the 'connect CAD segments' toggle.  There are several times I want to draw cad lines and don't want them to connect, so this is a welcome feature.

Ultimately, i don't like that we lost the ability to multiple select individual objects that are connected.  This wasn't demonstrated in the video.  While you can select each line while in that 'mode', you can't multiple select the line.  Big loss of functionality and not sure why that was removed.  I know chief got lots of support tickets and there are lots of posts on problems users had as a result of having edit object parts being on without them knowing.  So if that is the motivation, then hide the tool or turn it off automatically like they do with the new disconnect tool, but don't get rid of it.  Big disappointment to me.  Never could understand why a software company would remove functionality.  Please bring it back.

Perhaps adding a sticky mode to the 'disconnect cad segment' would be an acceptable solution.  Not as good, but at least we would get the function back in some form.  But i'm not a fan of the sticky mode thing because it's an extra click vs double clicking like we use to do with things like complete line breaks, or copying, etc.  But I understand the consistency between programs.  But why eliminate the double click, let us do both.  Maybe this loss feature turned into a feature request. :)

...Ultimately, i don't like that we lost the ability to multiple select individual objects that are connected.  This wasn't demonstrated in the video.  While you can select each line while in that 'mode', you can't multiple select the line...

This isn't exactly true.  I didn't go over it in the video, however in the following post I mentioned that you can still select multiple line segments with the Disconnect Edges tool active.  Try playing around with it to get a feel for it, but...

If you select a single segment of a polyline and then click on one of the end nodes, the segment or polyline on that end will be combined and added to your selection.  OR, you can click on the center node and the segment or polyline on BOTH sides are combined and added to your selection.  In a long disconnected string you can use the same techniques to add multiple segments one at a time, although after playing with it for a little while, the latter behavior seems a little finicky and somewhat dependent on what side of the polyline you start from. 

At the end of the day, it seems like the one functionality we have lost is being able to select 2 or more UNCONNECTED lines out of any given CAD detail without first disconnecting the segments from their polylines.  Not sure yet whether or not this is actually a problem as the only time I THINK I do this is for trimming purposes in which case selecting an entire polyline along with my segment may never actually be an issue.  I guess we'll see.   

At the end of the day, it seems like the one functionality we have lost is being able to select 2 or more UNCONNECTED lines out of any given CAD detail without first disconnecting the segments from their polylines...

As it turns out, this is not exactly true either.  With Connect CAD Segments DEactivated (unchecked), you can can do the following...

1.  Select a disconnected line segment FIRST and then Control or Shift select a polyline segment (even part of a connected polyline) and just the one segment is group selected. 

OR

2.  Control or Shift select a connected polyline and while still holding Control or Shift, click on one or more of the line segments.  Each line segment you click on (after the initial polyline selection) will be disconnected from the polyline and will be added or subtracted from your group selection as well.  This could really pretty easily serve as a functional replacement for our previous Edit Object Parts tool with a little getting used to. 

As it turns out, this is not exactly true either.  With Connect CAD Segments DEactivated (unchecked), you can can do the following...

1.  Select a disconnected line segment FIRST and then Control or Shift select a polyline segment (even part of a connected polyline) and just the one segment is group selected. 

OR

2.  Control or Shift select a connected polyline and while still holding Control or Shift, click on one or more of the line segments.  Each line segment you click on (after the initial polyline selection) will be disconnected from the polyline and will be added or subtracted from your group selection as well.  This could really pretty easily serve as a functional replacement for our previous Edit Object Parts tool with a little getting used to. 

Michael, thanks for the further investigation.  Had a chance to play with it a little more.

1. I was aware of, but extra steps to achieve what we could before.

2. this is interesting. However, this doesn't work if it is a closed polyline.  It isn't very intuitive either.  I found I had to select the segment, which selects the entire group, then select the same segment again, then start selecting others.  So can work, but my brain would definitely need to be trained to think this way since I don't think to turn on 'connect cad segments' to disconnect cad segments .  However, most times I need this function is when a polyline is closed.  (i use it alot on closet plot/site plans).

In summary.  I realize I can get what I need done, but there are extra steps involved to get there compared to the old tool we had.  I would certainly like the more intuitive obvious edit parts tool back.  Or as mentioned, perhaps the disconnect segment could have a 'sticky' mode and even a fence option added to it and I can live with that as that would be much more intuitive since most tools do have a sticky mode.