Window In Thin Wall Next To Thick Wall

lizdion

This happens when there is a thin wall with storefront in line with a thick masonry wall. A window placed in the thin wall cannot be pushed close to the thick wall though that minimum is a mystery. In this case the thick wall is about 16" and the distance is 9".

There is no casing and ignore casing for opening is checked.

I will do a work around by using thinner walls to make up the thick one, but wonder if a simpler way. I run into this often in retail design.

Thanks,

Liz

Strange. Did you both use x7? I don't think I had the problem before x7 (or maybe x6). But I have it consistently now.

I've checked settings. Windows have no casing, sill, lintel or anything else. just a small frame. No minimum separation. Ignore casing for resize.

Here is a test plan in a new file and I still have the problem.

Thanks,

Liz

Strange. Did you both use x7? I don't think I had the problem before x7 (or maybe x6). But I have it consistently now.

I've checked settings. Windows have no casing, sill, lintel or anything else. just a small frame. No minimum separation. Ignore casing for resize.

Here is a test plan in a new file and I still have the problem.

Thanks,

Liz

No file attached.  Make sure you remember to click "Attach This File" and make sure the plan is closed before you try attaching. 

I just want to say i've had a similar issue Liz is having - and I had to extend the wall out longer one side, move the window, and then shrink the wall back to the correct location. I'll watch Alaskan's vid to see if there is something i too was missing.

(added after watching video)

OK, so I see that it appears that Chief isn't moving the windows but it does anyway.  That is the nuance I was missing too.  Thanks for doing the video, that was a big help.

I just want to say i've had a similar issue Liz is having - and I had to extend the wall out longer one side, move the window, and then shrink the wall back to the correct location. I'll watch Alaskan's vid to see if there is something i too was missing.

(added after watching video)

OK, so I see that it appears that Chief isn't moving the windows but it does anyway.  That is the nuance I was missing too.  Thanks for doing the video, that was a big help.

You're totally welcome.  Its a goofy little quirk for sure. 

Wow. Thanks, Michael. Have to drag the center past the end of the wall. And it is either all or nothing. But that works for storefront.

Liz

Not exactly all or nothing.  Actually, if you go into your casing settings, turn the casing on, set it all to zero and then turn it back off, you can get the window to within 4" (the limit seems to be whatever the casing is set to plus 4".  You can also resize the window after dragging it tight by making it smaller and get it to within 1-3/4".  Then you can resize the window again (through the dbx) to get anywhere from 1-3/4" to 4".  Once the spacing is set you can drag the window by the edit handle opposite the wall connection and resize it to what you want.  Can't seem to get the window anywhere between 0" and 1-3/4" though.  Very very funky.