Control over door position in wall (flush, recess, etc)

Sydney23

If I have a door in a UK standard 300mm cavity wall, or an old 9" solid brick wall, I need to tell CA where to put that door (outer skin/centred/inner skin) and whether the door swings in or outwards.

But in CA these two concepts seem locked together. I can only get the door in the right position if I change the swing. The 'recess' option in the door DBX only seems to play around with the jambs/casing, not the door itself.

I'm sure I could conquer it by redefining all my walls and main layers, but that will introduce complexity when trying to get multi-layer walls connecting correctly.

Is there an easy solution to this? Being able to tell CA where to locate doors in walls, easily, seems a basic requirement to me.

For X7, how about a simple door DBX commmand saying "offset door XXXmm from outer surface of wall"?

It is possible to copy the door from the Chief library to the user/doors library and change it's Y origin.  this will make it correct in 3D views, but will not alter the position of  the 2D block in plan.

I requested that the 2D block be offset to match the 3D offset - but who knows if Chief will make that adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bill,

I vaguley remember trying this once and getting horribly confused / couldn't get it to work. But thanks, until CA add this 'real world' functionality I'll try that route again when it's important. It's not on every project, but often enough to make me a tad frustrated.