Putting Door In Interior Short Wall Not Working.

VinnieVicon

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Hello, I built an interior short wall in a room and I tried to install a door in the wall but Chief just cut an opening in the wall instead. The ceiling hieght is 10'-10" but the shorter wall is 8' feet high not all the way to the ceiling. I need to put doors into the shorter walls. Any suggestions.

Thanks 

Vinnie

Using X8

Vinnie,

By short wall, do you mean Chief's Half Wall?

If so, this is a railing in which you cannot place doors (with wall over).

If you want doors in a railing, draw them as ordinary walls, place the doors, and then convert to railings - the doors will stick.

BUT, the doors won't have any wall over them.

So...if you want doors with wall over in a wall shorter than the ceiling, use ordinary walls and change the wall height by dragging or dimensions in a 3D view. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Glen, I was able to make the wall as you suggest but I can't fill in the wall over door. There's no wall over the door. Can you help explain that pert to me. I appreciate your help.

Thanks Glen

Vinnie

Vicon Design & Remodeling

Just wondering if the issue is that the wall height is less than the door height plus the header/framing height total. Never done this but if the wall height is only say 84", would Chief still automatically insert a standard 80" door into the wall? Vinnie you mention that the wall will not fill in above the door, maybe it's height needs to be inreased a bit or door height reduced or the framing reduced.

Graham

• Solution

Your problem is that you're using a railing wall.  I would probably do one of 2 things...

1.  As someone else mentioned above, use normal walls and simply select the walls in elevation and drag them down.

2.  Use a pony wall with a shorter normal wall on the bottom and a zero thickness wall on top using "Opening (no material)"

post-46-0-10492400-1454978481_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Your problem is that you're using a railing wall.  I would probably do one of 2 things...

1.  As someone else mentioned above, use normal walls and simply select the walls in elevation and drag them down.

2.  Use a pony wall with a shorter normal wall on the bottom and a zero thickness wall on top using "Opening (no material)"

Thanks Glen it worked.  

Vinnie

• 1 year later...

RESOLVED.Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 4.59.09 PM.png

When I tried dragging down the height of the wall it took down the height of the ceiling affecting other walls.

But I did 'solve' it.

note the existing ceiling height.

Define a ceiling pane only over the wall you wish to lower.  

Set the slope to 1/16 and lock it. (That was the lowest i was permitted)  Lock the slope and enter the desired absolute height.

So far you get a hole in the original ceiling, a lowered wall with an ugly section of ceiling above it.

First fix the hole:

Copy your ceiling pane and paste it in place.   Choose one of them and set the ceiling height to that of the original.  That plugs the hole.

In a floor view, select the ugly ceiling pane over your lowered partition.  Choose material and select insulation- air gap.

The smaller the section the better as the ceiling does not perfectly get patched because of the slight slope.