I Didn't Know How To Do This So

davidinvest

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Are you curious because I live in Alaska as well?

Maybe a little, but no...I'm mostly curious because the nature and overall tone of your questions has been very unusual, and to be honest, the fact you're copying plans just seems suspicious. I think you aren't going about learning this trade in the proper way. You're running into a ton of roadblocks because you've skipped all the basics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If they're your father's plans than its not suspicious.  That's why I asked.  I will note though that it sounds like your father didn't draw them or else you wouldn't be talking about replacing the professional architect your father is paying.  If that IS the case, be careful.  Just because your father paid someone to draw plans doesn't mean he bought the rights to copy their work. 

How does copying your fathers plans seem suspicious?

I can't speak for Alaskan_Son, but I have to agree the initial question was odd coming from someone "in the industry".  Learning "how" to use CA isn't going to teach you the profession of being a draftsman/designer.

And to your original question - yes, be prepared to do a lot of drawing even though CA makes the process much less drawing intensive than other apps.

Maybe, But I would like to have lots of skills if I get my fathers business

I dont know your age, but before I knew what I wanted to do (architect) my father, who was a builder/developer, had me go work for a summer under the direction of the architect I eventually became partners with (after going back to school and then formal internship). Had he handed me a copy of a program and said start drawing my homes that would have done neither of us very much good.

You dont have to be an architect, but I would recommend going and working for someone that knows what they are doing and then work on your fathers stuff from that office to begin with.

It is more important that you pursue your own interests, I mean if you want to do this for your own reasons then that is a good intention. Never live your life only for others, the main affinity and interest should be your own. Personally, I love doing this creative "work", actually to me it is FUN! But it is my chosen field to create in. The world already has too many unhappy persons earning pay checks, when what the world actually needs is enthusiastic Artists!

DJP

David,

You should really consider paying for some one on one training.  It could really benefit you. 

I absolutely 100% agree with Micheal. After you finish the plan you are working on, I think you should take a break for a short while and take some training classes that either Chief Architect offers, or another user offers. I'm sure your father would understand. After all, I'm sure he wasn't dropped in the field one day and told to "go at it". I'm sure he had to study and practice his craft of general contracting. It would be a little foolish to jump right into another plan blindly. David J. Potter offers training classes. He comment on this post already, and has already shown you how to manipulate 3D polylines in a video. Look in the "Offering Services" section of this forum. Joey Martin is a great guy and he sometimes has positions available. There are plenty others. Good luck bud, I hope you finish your plan in time.

Here's another opinion. Hang in there David and keep thrashing until it all makes sense to you. Don't worry about 'copying' other plans. I had zero drafting or architectural experience when I first started with Chief. It's not an easy program no matter your experience and the only way to really learn is jump in head first. I began by 'copying' others' plans. Not to steal or to create a house that was the same but just so I could understand how to draw plans. Nothing nefarious or untoward, just needed a place to start.

A lot of the forum members come from very formal Architectural backgrounds and their valuable opinions come from those backgrounds. Other of us have thrashed their way through to understanding Chief. No one is right but you have to follow your gut and find a way through.

There's tons of helpful videos out there that will help you with the basics but it's all about seat time. There's no short cuts and if you phrase your questions correctly and courteously and show you are putting some effort in you will get tons of help.

Hang in there.

• Upvote 2

Larry, well put. I learned the same way. I had no formal training in Architecture. Just a strong will to design homes. I started with the home designer pro software at 16 and moved on to Chief Premier in my early 20's. I've been doing this a long time. I can't say that I'm self taught because that wouldn't be true. There was countless hours watching videos from Chief Architect, Scott Hall (Learned a he*l of a lot from that man's videos), and ChiefTutor.com. I would get into bed at night and instead of watching tv, I'd study the manual, or watch online videos. It was David J. Potter who's words and help in the home designer forum pushed me to upgrade to Chief. There are a lot of great guys and girls who are more than willing to help other users out. Always be courteous and thankful for the time they take out of their day to help you. If you're nice and thankful to them, they will be that way in return. Good luck in all your endeavors.  

Ross said something very important it takes "countless hours" to learn how to operate this software.  I think you may have been lead to believe it is easy to do.  You first have to know something about designing a structure, codes, material limitations, cost benefit of various constructions styles.  The software can not teach you any of this.  Imitating something that has been drawn by someone else is not the way to go about it.  Not to discourage you but seriously, how old are you?

• Upvote 2