Need Help Fiding The Right Laptop To Run Chief Architect 9.0

Nbzbiker

i want to get rid of my desktop and get a new laptop but im a little stuck right now. I know i have an out dated version of the chief architect software but im so comfortable using it so i do not want to buy an updated version. So my question is does anyone know of a laptop that gives me plenty memory space and also something compatible with my CA 9.0

Thank You

Perry's correct. I just bought the one below and it works well in X7/X8. The more you spend the better performance. The 3D performance is very good on the laptop below. The RayTracing takes a long time because the CPU is a bit weak. As a desk top replacement I would need a faster CPU for RayTracing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ZG9964?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Here's a bunch of choices from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_four_bro_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Ck%3Aasus%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A7817234011%2Cp_89%3AAsus%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011&keywords=asus&ie=UTF8&qid=1454784730&rnid=676578011

Here's a thread discussing the laptop I bought.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8044-bought-a-new-lap-top-very-impressed/

Chief Architect Version 9 was developed to run properly in Windows XP x 32. So it is unlikely to run well in any modern operating system(in other words, you are screwed). I have versions 7-10 on a separate hard drive that runs on Windows XP x32 and that is what you need to do. New laptops ship with Windows 10 which is a great operating system but is not conducive to running antique software like Version 9.

DJP

so i bought a new laptop that comes with the i7 processor and a Nvidia Geforce graphics card i installed my Chief Architect 9.5. I got all the way through installing it until i hit a brick wall. Typed in my cd key and now have an error saying "no appropriate hardware lock was found" this is just great :angry:

Chief 9.5 is an antique

you would probably be far better of getting the newest HD PRO for $495

and moving into "modern times"

as David pointed out software is written for PC's during their time frame

software and hardware moves on and it is necessary to keep up

sometimes the software mandates new hardware

sometimes the hardware mandates new software

that's life

Lew

so i bought a new laptop that comes with the i7 processor and a Nvidia Geforce graphics card i installed my Chief Architect 9.5. I got all the way through installing it until i hit a brick wall. Typed in my cd key and now have an error saying "no appropriate hardware lock was found" this is just great :angry:

I'm guessing you read but didn't heed any of the sage advice given here? Or read it and ignored it? And you are somehow surprised that software developed in 2008 2004 should run on 2016 OS?

...or you could even google your problem (like I did which took 15 seconds) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/chief-architect-95-32bit-failed-to-install-on/d0633ca9-4367-4583-b224-b4b77835fd83?auth=1  and maybe get your software up and running.

I have heard that you MIGHT  be able to find updated hardware lock drivers for Windows 10 or 7 but until you do you will be farting in the wind trying to get 9.5 running in Windows 10. The hardware lock people do have a searchable website. Go there, find what you need. Install it or stop your whining.

DJP

I was not able to get Chief 9.54 to install on Windows 7 or 8(.1) with USB lock. However, if you search some very old threads on the old Chief forum, you will find some posts on how to 'possibly' get an emulated (virtual desktop) version of WIndows XP on your machine to get it to work.  I did get it to work for a little while doing that, but it was buggy and not worth it since it wasn't consistent.  Only way it is guaranteed to work is if you have a password version (no hardware lock) but not many people had those.  I haven't tried it on Windows 10, but I'm not hopeful.  Perhaps the virtual desktop works better with that.