Known Current Bugs In X8 Beta?

tommy1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so you need to go into the Roof Defaults and edit the Structure to the correct materials.  Then delete all roof planes and rebuild them.

OTOH, I agree that the "Materials Defaults" don't do the job by themselves.  This is a bug IMO and I'm not sure why there are 2 places to specify when one of them obviously doesn't work.

Report it to http://support@chiefarchitect.com

Yes. Structure tab for roof surfaces and the material defaults for the ridge caps. Then rebuild roof. If you don't rebuild then its the eyedropper.Which I never like to use for roof planes.

No need to rebuild roof.  Edit all roof planes or material painter changes all roofing material.  If you rebuild roof, it will  take on the default material settings from the roof structure tab.  I think what Joe was saying is that you also need to change the settings in the default structure tab to keep material from reverting.

Here is the 3 part answer I got from tech support.

1. The steps have changed in X8. Please go to Build>Roof>Structure>Roof layers and change the default material there. We have brought it to the attention of our developers that the option for changing roof plane materials in default settings does not work and should be removed. We are working to fix this issue as it is causing confusion.
  2. You can set the default of the roof by going to edit>default settings>roof and on the structure panel, change the material surface there. If you build your roof first, then try to change the default it is not a dynamic setting and you will have to rebuild your roof. If you cannot rebuild your roof, the eye dropper is the only other way to change the material.
  3. I see now that it was dynamic in X7. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I will bring it to the attention of our Development Team. Thank you for your input, and for bringing this to our attention.

Hopefully it gets fixed in a future patch.

Here is the 3 part answer I got from tech support.

1. The steps have changed in X8. Please go to Build>Roof>Structure>Roof layers and change the default material there. We have brought it to the attention of our developers that the option for changing roof plane materials in default settings does not work and should be removed. We are working to fix this issue as it is causing confusion.
  2. You can set the default of the roof by going to edit>default settings>roof and on the structure panel, change the material surface there. If you build your roof first, then try to change the default it is not a dynamic setting and you will have to rebuild your roof. If you cannot rebuild your roof, the eye dropper is the only other way to change the material.
  3. I see now that it was dynamic in X7. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I will bring it to the attention of our Development Team. Thank you for your input, and for bringing this to our attention.

Hopefully it gets fixed in a future patch.

Thanks for that report Dru. I found this to be true in Beta, reported it and then worked around it.

Alaskan Son,

As I have said before. I have had mixed results using the eyedropper for the roof materials. Maybe with the new individual layer control in X8 of the roof surfaces, this will be less of an issue.

Thanks again.

I know you're not the only one who feels that way.  Curious though...when is the last time you tried using the material painter?  I've been using it since X3 and the only issues I've ever had have been with walls and only because of the ways walls and rooms work (really a matter of user error and misunderstanding at the time).  I think a lot of you guys are really missing out on a valuable tool because of bad past experience.  I really encourage you guys to give it another shot.  Just make sure "Blend" is toggled off though. 

I know you're not the only one who feels that way.  Curious though...when is the last time you tried using the material painter?  I've been using it since X3 and the only issues I've ever had have been with walls and only because of the ways walls and rooms work (really a matter of user error and misunderstanding at the time).  I think a lot of you guys are really missing out on a valuable tool because of bad past experience.  I really encourage you guys to give it another shot.  Just make sure "Blend" is toggled off though. 

The big issue I used to get was when doing capes with dormers. When I would use the material painter it would paint the walls on the inside of the cape area also. i do use the material painter for flooring and applying paint colors to interior walls. I find it beneficial to change the defaults for exterior walls and of course the roof material. 

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I have found there's a bunch of library textures missing.  For example:

post-191-0-27898300-1456447297_thumb.jpg

I believe there's some missing in the siding libraries as well.  I haven't really done much looking in the libraries to see how extensive this is.  I just did the X8 new release update a few days ago so unless someone in CA has recently did a bunch of updates, I assume my libraries are current.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I have found there's a bunch of library textures missing.  For example:

attachicon.gifX8MissingTxtrs.JPG

I believe there's some missing in the siding libraries as well.  I haven't really done much looking in the libraries to see how extensive this is.  I just did the X8 new release update a few days ago so unless someone in CA has recently did a bunch of updates, I assume my libraries are current.

Whens the last time you clicked Update Library Catalogs?

The big issue I used to get was when doing capes with dormers. When I would use the material painter it would paint the walls on the inside of the cape area also. i do use the material painter for flooring and applying paint colors to interior walls. I find it beneficial to change the defaults for exterior walls and of course the roof material. 

You could use a layerset or use all off layer set with roofplane layer turned on> group select all planes> open dbx> change roof surface material. Would have to repeat for each floor but not really an onerous task, yes it would be nice just having the default update but I dont see it as a major workaround.

You could use a layerset or use all off layer set with roofplane layer turned on> group select all planes> open dbx> change roof surface material. Would have to repeat for each floor but not really an onerous task, yes it would be nice just having the default update but I dont see it as a major workaround.

Just to clarify, both for yourself and for anyone else reading this, there's no need for group selecting or moving from floor to floor with Edit All Roof Planes, or with using the material painter in plan mode.

Terry:

I think you will get an update prompt when you open X8.  If not, if you open Help on the toolbar, there's a selection for updates.  I don't have a clue if it is worth doing a Libraries update ... I have done this and am missing textures for many items in some parts of the library.  All your previously updated/downloaded libraries should stay with your new update.

Can we all chip in to an account and hire a student to assemble a bug and solution list based on the wealth of information in these threads? Especially threads like this one. I realize that there are very brief moments when I do not type pure and brilliant sarcasm but I am dead serious about this. I suspect we could generate a few thousand dollars to employ someone for this task. I bet we have 100 users that would pony up $20 bucks in a heartbeat for a database like that.

I posted this thread before I downloaded this version in hopes of people posting "known bugs". I was afraid that many people would post things that are actually user errors and not bugs which was done. When you combine the posts that are user errors and the replies for those, then there are a lot of un-necessary post here (for what I intended). I wish I could delete any post that is user error but I can't. I still haven't used this version for an actual plan for a client but plan to next week or this weekend because the final release seemed to fix the major problem I was concerned about. All new bugs I've seen since the release can be dealt with IMO.