Point To Point Dimension (Numbers) Will Change Layers But The Points Remain

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

...behind. I have some point to point dims that I want to hide so I created a new layer. The dims moved to that new layer but the points remained behind on the original layer. I can't shift select them with the dim tool and now must select each one and change its layer individually. Ugh. X8.

Am I missing something?

Thanks Michael,

That method solves a different problem. The 'points' that are left after shift selecting and moving the numbered dims to another layer are not on a unique layer, but instead share items on the same layer.

It's easy to understand that the 'points' would not necessarily be on the same layer as the dims they refer to but when using the dimension tool it would be nice if they were and would change layers along with the numbered dims when group selected.

Thanks Michael,

That method solves a different problem. The 'points' that are left after shift selecting and moving the numbered dims to another layer are not on a unique layer, but instead share items on the same layer.

It's easy to understand that the 'points' would not necessarily be on the same layer as the dims they refer to but when using the dimension tool it would be nice if they were and would change layers along with the numbered dims when group selected.

After isolating the layers, don't shift select the items, group select them with the select tool.  It will select both the dimension lines and the points.  If you shift select while using a dimension tool it will only select the dimension lines. 

...The 'points' that are left after shift selecting and moving the numbered dims to another layer are not on a unique layer, but instead share items on the same layer...

Sorry, just realized what you meant by this.  You can't group select the dimensions and points because other items that are on the same layer as the points (dimensions, manual by default) are still displayed that are preventing you from doing so. 

Try this...Shift select and then CUT.  When you cut it will take the points with it.  Then paste hold position and while the items are still selected you can open the object dbx and change the layer (changing layer should actually be your only option available).

Thank you Michael, Glenn,

I just tried it on a new plan template and everything moved to a new layer, leaving no points behind.

This template plan was defaulting to the layer I was changing it to - no need to try and understand that.

Strange, but a great tip none the less Glenn - it worked great Thank you

Larry, Glenn's point was indeed great, but in the future it can be done as I stated above by shift selecting and then cutting and pasting directly back into position (Cntrl+X followed by Cntrl+Alt+V). The cutting process picks up the points along with the dimensions...all in one step.

Larry, Glenn's point was indeed great, but in the future it can be done as I stated above by shift selecting and then cutting and pasting directly back into position (Cntrl+X followed by Cntrl+Alt+V). The cutting process picks up the points along with the dimensions...all in one step.

NICE! Tried it and it works. Now if I can only remember this stuff for next time.

Thanks for your help Michael - appreciate your time.