Roof Overhang Woes

country

I am trying to get a couple options together for exteriors on this plan.  I used the auto roof function to begin with and then started working on just the front view for some presentations.  

I would like the gable end returns to look like they are currently (except for the one upper one on the left which is wrong in another way).  When I try to raise the steeper pitched front stair gable so the fascia board height matches the veranda roofline (6 1/2") I get an extended box return instead of it staying as is, even when the rooflines are not touching.  I have tried raising it using the dbx and matching the fascia height and also by raising it up 6 1/2" with the transform replicate tool.  I have changed every setting I can imagine (so something may be very wrong by now) and cannot make it work.

I have to do some more with full gables and a steeper pitch on the house but that will not go well if I can't get this to work.

I have also attached a couple screen shots.

HP.0204.X8.zip

post-117-0-95975900-1454626948_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-09107100-1454626950_thumb.jpg

Sherry,

I don't know why, but the gable end return on the right side is caused by the size of the eave overhang there. 

Select the roof plane and notice that the eave overhang is 1' 5 1/2". 

Click on that dimension to open the value and it is reported at 1' 5.525".

If you change it to 1' 5.5", the gable end return disappears.

I'm not sure what is going on, but that small adjustment fixes the problem.  

Thank you for the suggestions Eric. The front veranda roof is 4 1/2/12 so I have room for flashing. I want the ceiling height to be continuous throughout, is that not possible as it would be in real life. I would normally just call up the different heel heights for the offset pitches. I did try raising the baselines but that didn't work well either. This will not do the trusses properly either:-(

Did the upper gable work on its own when you redid the roof? I tried that but it didn't work for me.

David. I don't know how Chief used to work but so far I have been able to get things to work pretty well and I really do not want to just draw things on. I want them to work in 3D for viewing.

Thanks Glen. I'll continue to gnaw on this. I thought I checked all the overhangs a couple times but was getting pretty tired of seeing that stupid return every time so I may have moved something when I started tossing my mouse