3Dconnexion Mouse Vs X8 ( Longtime User Of Spacemouse )

KevinWaldron

Guys,

I'm a long time user of the Spacemouse (4+years) and have several Spacemouse Pros...........

Question? Are there any controls within the Chief program for setting the Spacemouse like other software has...(I know I can do this with the 3DConnecion software.... reverse things etc.)......... for instance my mouse on all other software Rhinoceros, FormZ8, Autocad, Turbocad, CorelCad, Sketchup, Solidworks etc......... if your in 3D view if you twist to the left 3D views go to the left ... all these other programs work the same......... but not in Chief...... it goes to the right.  Work other programs at the same time as Chief they will all go to the left but Chief goes to the right........ sure I can reverse the 3D connection but then all the other programs are wrong. Controls also work faster than they should if you set them in center position....... other programs work correctly running at the same time.......2D works just as backwards as the other programs use........(Other programs have setup for the Spacemouse with controls setting within the program not the master setup provided by 3DConnexion or there are specific drivers for the programs)

Just noticed if you manage to move your house off the screen in Perspective Full Overview with the 3D mouse the zoom all/extents want bring the house back into view...... only way to do this is close window and do another Perspective Full Overview.

From my standpoint at the present 3D mouse is useless......... unless I've just missed something.......

Please help.

kevin

I've not seen specific controls in CA - but you can customize the spacemouse per application using their software.  You just need to setup a profile for CA.

What you do is make the last application you want to edit "active" - meaning current selection (just have it open).  Then, select the spacenavigator that should be running in your system tray.  The name of the application should be in the upper left side of that new window.  Make your modifications on how you want it in that app, and then exit.

That will make a custom profile.

That is quite interesting.. I find Chief's default of moving the camera more intuitive.. But as Johnny said the Spacemouse system tray settings can reverse this specific to each application.. Switch apps, settings change. Very slick. The Zoom issue is a problem but not caused by the Sapcemouse implementation.. I think it's always been this way..

• 8 months later...

My space Navigator just got delivered...

I installed the software and did the training...

Now, how do I get it to work with CA?  Seems everything is backwards or something.  The 3D model doesn't move the way I would expect it to.

Thank you for your help.

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread?

Your mouse can be programed specifically for

different applications. While you have Chief 

open in an active window, open the 3Dconnexion

Home dbx/window. Navigate to the Advanced 

Settings screen where you will find you can

control all aspects of how the mouse functions

while using Chief.

post-126-0-51536200-1477889813_thumb.png

One other tip not related to the SpaceMouse itself, but something you may notice when using one as it makes is so easy to move through the 3D views:

If you use multiple monitors or a tiled window view and notice any slowdown with your 3D view as you move then ensure the plan and floor with the camera symbol on is not visible.  It's not enough to just hide the camera indicator by layer (and disabling always showing the symbol) you need to be on another floor of the plan of not have the plan window visible at all.  

It appears having the plan the camera was placed on is causing extra re-calculations for the plan.  I often place full cameras on an attic floor to avoid this issue as the speed difference can be significant on complex plans.

You have to think of it as camera on a tripod. You rotate to the left so the screen moves to the right, letting you see more to the left that you're rotating towards. Seems backwards at first but once you get that it makes it easier to understand. We have the 3d wireless and love it.

Thanks everyone! 

Rich, I wasn't sure where to change the settings until you posted.  I was looking in CA... 

I didn't realize you needed to open the space setting box while being in the program you wanted to adjust the setting for.  I had 4 other programs open and it kept changing settings to the current app.

Checking the box in CA where the view pivots around the mouse instead of the focal point helps also.

My original statement still holds......... controls need to conform to the majority of other CAD programs .......... still implemented poorly in CA!

Showing another Cad program controls that are built into the Cad program and the standard 3D Connexion interface.......( been using the 3D mouse for 5 years.......on 4 other programs......so I'm quite proficient with it.....)

post-955-0-80464500-1477941521_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-09566000-1477941529_thumb.jpg