How Do I Acheive This?

davidinvest

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I'm talking about real framing as it would really be in the field, and show in sections as it should. Using a p-solid of course doesn't have any framing so when you cut a section thru one- no framing. On something like that I would use a railing wall (post to beam) for the lower portion and roof plane and curved ceiling plane for the arch. That way you get all the framing. If you just need it to look good then your way is good until you need details.

Problem with post to beam is siding is not right (depending on actual offsets and plate heights).   For me getting my elevations to display right as well as floor plans are a priority.

If I happen to have a section that passes through that area, it is easy enough to manually detail it out.   In fact, I almost never take the time to actually "Frame" the house in 3d.   Sections I dont already have, I can manually detail MUCH quicker that the amount of time it takes to get all the 3d framing correct.   Yes I could do it, but I also framed for almost 15 years.  Had 60+ men at my biggest and built everything from large customs to mixed use and multifamily.   (besides GC work I have done)  Building the framing is not necessary for me to picture how it will go together.   

In my area plans only require a few typical sections.   I could do the extra work, but it would not be something that anyone is willing to pay....  Engineer notes are usually done all in 2d notations on top of plans, and any sections they might add are typical as well.

Guess my workflow has as much to do with the requirements of my locality.   Floor plans and elevations drive my choices.

I always keep all my plans, section's and elevations live, I think that is much faster than generating cad details. I have no problem with any situation except battered walls if needed but I haven't come across that yet and if so I would tell them to go elsewhere for that.

I always keep all my plans, section's and elevations live, I think that is much faster than generating cad details. I have no problem with any situation except battered walls if needed but I haven't come across that yet and if so I would tell them to go elsewhere for that.

It is always good to see the way others work.   I am thinking for me, live details would me re-doing sections every plan.  I have a ton of "standard" ones I use and usually only have to do a few job specific ones for each new plan.  Sometimes only a stair sect.

Been a while since I tried to work "live".   Back in the day, it was more trouble than it was worth trying to get it to generate right.   Might be better now.   Always worth evaluating!  I might try in out again.

Thanks for sharing.

In X8 with automatic updates, sections and elevations are fully automatic, and all I have to do is hit one button and every view sent to layout updates, how easy is that. you can even set it to fully automatic so you don't even need to hit that button.