Exporting To 3D Studio Max

aladdin

Hello, 

I am working with a digital artist on creating some photo realistic renderings for my homebuilding company. 

I was able to successfully export to 3ds format and the model was completely in tact. 

However the artist asked if I can separate the export 'by color or texture. Here is his email which may explain it better. 

"Can you check if there is some setting which will allow you to export by color/material so while exporting it will cut objects by their colors or textures. Currently all materials and textures are combined together and it takes me a lot of additional time to separate them. "

"However the artist asked if I can separate the export 'by color or texture. "

No you can't. But he/she can do this. Basically you need to export your model in fbx format. (Vrml and dae may also do the job.) Since Chief doesn't generate fbx files, you need to convert the 3ds model to the fbx file.

These are my steps for exporting to 3D Max:

1-) Export your Chief model in 3ds format. (Done)

2-) Import the 3ds file into 3D Max.

3-) Export the model from 3D Max as a fbx file. (Now we have our Chief model in fbx format.)

4-) Re-import the Chief model in fbx format into 3D Max by using "Link fbx" option. This will allow them to seperate objects by material.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I´ve imported a chief model into 3ds Max and all works well. Followed Portrait´s steps and it separates the materials. For me at the moment it´s easier to do the model in chief and work on the materials for the final render in 3d Max. Is it possible to apply materials in 3D Max per items? At the moment if I change one object´s material (ex. door frame) it changes all the other objects in the design that use that material. Could i just bring the model from chief, make everything white and start applying materials item per item?