Shopping Around For New System

evergreen

hmm...from what I hear, it is (Quadro) that is the preferred card for ACAD. Like many systems that support multiple GPUs, is it as simple as having both (GeForce for CA and Quadro for ACAD) and then the software can be configured to use the correct one.

Any advice is appreciated.

My first system for Chief had a Quadro card, everything seemed to function just fine. I think the main difference is that these cards are targeted towards the professional engineering community and as such command a higher price. Most of us are using consumer grade gamming cards that provide a better price/performance balance. Also as the consumer card market is so competitive these cards are upgraded much faster with new features such as improved support for higher resolution monitors.

If not sure which route to go then it would be best to check out the specs of these cards in conjunction with your software to see if there is any distinct advantage of one over the other.

Graham

Quadro cards work fine in Chief and also have some specially written drivers for specialty 3D software like SolidWorks, 3D animation, and others, have more accurate rendering engines enabled, and command a higher price for that specialization. Chief doesn't take advantage of those drivers or capabilities and bases its rendering engine on the OpenGL standard of which the gaming cards take much better advantage of, and at a lower price.

If you use Solid Works or another software program that takes advantage of, or needs the Quadro standard and precision then that might be a wise (and expensive) choice.

If you are looking for a video card for Chief then save your money and get a nice OpenGL card like the NVidia or AMD Radeon chip sets.

Thanks everybody!

Larry, the Quadro card has OpenGL (see attached).  The card installed in system above (K620 in first post) runs about 160-180 bucks.

Quadro K2200 and K4200 run about 450 - 850ish respectively. There are others (Quadro) that run in the thousands :blink:

post-82-0-61783300-1454527028_thumb.jpg

Thanks Graham,

I have time...and will spend it getting caught up on what constitutes the best parts that make up the whole. For me its a pricy endeavor, but like to get something that will be as adequate as can be for as long as it can be (within reason).

What Larry said. As you can see from my out of date

signature I was once running a Quadro 4000 because

originally I built my workstation for SolidWorks. When

I started running Chief I was disappointed with the

Quadro's performance. During one of my numerous

hardware upgrades I opted for the NVidia GTX780Ti

which I got for way cheaper than I had paid for the

Quadro. The NVidia card runs circles around what

the Quadro could do in Chief and interestingly enough

I haven't really noticed any fall off in SolidWorks

performance although I don't really push the SolidWorks

software that hard with the work I use it for. 

Here's the current graphics champ - if your shopping for a Chief card. IMO it's only overkill if you can't afford it. There's never too much computer horsepower, again IMO.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-980ti-xtreme-gaming-windforce,4391.html

I can vouch for this card, it's screaming fast. I wouldn't waste my money on that set up evergreen, I spent about $2600 on the desktop rig in my signature (excluding the monitor) and I could not be happier. It's comparable in the quality of specs that I got on my last Puget desktop rig which still runs well at nearly 5 years old.