Can't move or resize anything in perspective views

mydog8it

Go to solution Solved by mydog8it,

I've been having some troubles with X6 in perspective views and perspective overviews. When I select an object or a wall, I see all of the handles to resize/move, but it won't let me move or resize them. I can select objects and nudge them with the arrow keys, but I can't grab any of those handles with my mouse. I can resize/move in cross section/elevation views. This happens in every plan.

Is there a new setting I need to change, or do I have a bug? I'm assuming since I see the handles I should be able to use them...

When you move the mouse over an edit handle does the cursor change?

If you minimize the main window and then maximize it do things start to work again?

When I mouse over an edit handle, I still just have an arrow.

After minimizing the main window, it did start letting me resize, but not from the handles. I had to hover above and slightly left of the handles, then I got the dual-sided arrows and could grab and drag from there. No issues with cross hairs on.

I have the 64-bit installed. WIndows 7. Core I7 processor. ATI graphics card with its own RAM. 

When you move the mouse over an edit handle does the cursor change?

If you minimize the main window and then maximize it do things start to work again?

Mine would take forever to change about 30 sec's but would not drag anything unless I sat there for another 30 sec's. I just changed my mouse driver to the OS setting and it now seems to be ok, for now. I use a Logitech performance MX mouse.

Mine would take forever to change about 30 sec's but would not drag anything unless I sat there for another 30 sec's. I just changed my mouse driver to the OS setting and it now seems to be ok, for now. I use a Logitech performance MX mouse.

Hmm. I have a logitech MX mouse, too. Off to look for a mouse driver...

But I have the same problem if I use the mouse pad on my laptop. I know that's all up to date.

So the problem only occurs in 3D or elevation views?

Try turning off the "Synchronize with Cursor" option in Preferences Edit. Does the cursor show up at the cross hair location after you let the cross hair catch up to it?

Is the feedback drawing at the right location relative to the 3D? You should be able to see this better in an elevation or a view where you are more dead on.

Check with ATI for newer video drivers.

Removing the mouse driver may also be a possibility. All mice these days are HID compliant, which means you don't need to install a driver to use them.

When you have a 3D view up with a background image is there any offset of the content? White bands on either the top or sides of the view where it looks like the background isn't extending far enough. This would indicate a driver issue.

It doesn't make any sense that switch the cross hair on would fix the problem.

Also check for malware.

The problem is not something we have been seeing so it seems like something particular with your system or a very particular set of operations that most people don't use.

I would suggest contacting our support team to work through the issues.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem as the OP........... in 3D views I could see all the edit handles (eg, the 4 sides of a window) when I selected an object,  but could not "grab" them by hovering directly on the edit handle.  I then discovered that if I hovered a bit above the edit handle I could grab it.  This was a bit annoying.  

I've now read the solution posted at (4).........was able to fix it by checking this box: Preferences > Edit > Cross Hair > Enable in Perspective View  

This has fixed the issue for me as well.  The edit handles can be grabbed by hovering the mouse directly on the edit handle.

Cheers

Ross

Could someone with this problem please try turning off the "Synchronize with Cursor" option in Preferences Edit. Does the cursor show up at the cross hair location after you let the cross hair catch up to it?

Heck,  I did not have cross hair on for perspective views.  Turned it on.  Makes no difference if synchronize is on or off,  no lag,  cross hair keeps up with arrow.

Could someone with this problem please try turning off the "Synchronize with Cursor" option in Preferences Edit. Does the cursor show up at the cross hair location after you let the cross hair catch up to it?

If I uncheck "Synchronize with Cursor", the crosshair shows up below the cursor. It never catches up (ie: the crosshair is never at the point of the mouse). It actually seems like the point slightly below and to the right that I can grab items from after minimizing the window (with crosshairs off) is where the crosshair shows up in relation to the cursor when I uncheck "synchronize."

I don't have any available updates for the ATI drivers. I don't actually have a mouse driver installed at all, so I don't think that's the problem. No malware. No viruses. No blank space around backgrounds in 3d views.  

It's still working fine as long as I have the crosshairs turned on, which doesn't bother me. I'm happy to help provide info if it helps someone else or helps to fix a bug though.

Thanks, that is what I suspected. It sounds like the coordinates of the cursor are not getting properly calculated for the view. This sounds similar to a problem we saw in beta when Chief was opened by double clicking on a plan. Now we will need to see if we can reproduce the problem in house so we can fix it.

The best way for us to figure this out is to have you talk to our support team. Since it appears that more than 1 person has the problem it is likely something that we need to fix, but it is something that appears to be very unusual so will take some effort to track down.

I would first suspect video card drivers, but it may also be something else, such as your arrangement of toolbars or something else. Your help on this is highly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

So this may be helpful. I did a screen grab so you could see my toolbar config (I haven't really changed anything from the default yet...) and both the cursor and the crosshairs showed up on the screen grab of a plan view. I went to grab a view of an elevation with "synchronize" off, and only the crosshairs showed up on the screen grab. The cursor was missing. Not sure if that's related, but it could be a clue.

I took a couple photos for you so you can see the offset of the cursor/crosshairs/handles. The elevation view shows what I get with synchronize off, and the perspective view shows where I have to click to drag the cabinet with crosshairs off.

I never open a plan by clicking on it - I always open from the file menu in chief. I typically don't have the window fully maximized, but that didn't make a difference. Also, if I turn crosshairs off in plan view, it still works fine. The problem is only with elevations & perspectives.

I'm guessing you'e right and that it's an issue with the graphics card. Anyways, hope this helps.

post-884-0-88412200-1401913177_thumb.png

post-884-0-94586400-1401913196_thumb.jpg

post-884-0-80967300-1401913225_thumb.jpg

Yes your picture confirms that the real cursor position and what the program thinks the cursor position is are offset. Apparently, by about the height of the tabbed window title bar. It doesn't really help a lot, but the amount of the offset is likely a clue as to where the problem is.

The screen capture won't capture the cursor location when synchronize with cursor is off as the system automatically hides it. When Synchronize is on we draw it where we think it should be.

• Upvote 1