solver

Craftsman Style Windows - Exact Location Of Horizontal Muntin?

The image shows an unusual arrangement of windows, but I often spec that the horizontal muntin be located a specific distance from the top, and that all windows maintain the sizing, leaving the lower part of the window to expand and contract.

post-1284-0-67542900-1454348562_thumb.jpg

I don't see a way to specify this directly. I can emulate with a bit of work, but the window type and size are no longer accurate.

I would like to be able to do the same with the prairie style window as well -- specify where the muntins go instead of them being some division of the window size.

I'm guessing I could create a window symbol that would stretch in the area below that horizontal muntin. Is this the best way?

Go to window specifications dbx.  Under the general tab.  Look to the middle of the page "bottom component size"  On a double hung window, the opening will be limited by the upper part so be cautious with egress window requirements.

If "Lites Vertical" is set to:

2 - 1/2 window height

3 - 1/3 window height

4 - 1/4 window height

5 - 1/5 window height

etc.

So, for an 8" Craftsman Mullion Height you would set "Lights Vertical" to:

3 for a 24" tall window

4 for a 32" tall window

5 for a 40" tall window

6 for a 48" tall window

7 for a 56" tall window

8 for a 64" tall window

Basically, this means that you should establish the height you want for the mullions and then make your window heights all be a multiple of that. 

Unless you are having all custom windows you merely state what the manufacturer and model numbers are. Builders should not be so foolish to do something with windows merely because the drawings apparently "say" this or that. You specify what is to be used, the manufacturer and model numbers and the client will then get what is expected. I understand about appearances but specifications and annotations are senior to or should be more important than literal appearance.

DJP

Thanks guys. Just did the custom muntins -- easy enough.

I saved the generated CAD Block to the library for reuse, but found it a bit tedious to center it on each window.

Now if the Object Eyedropper would recognize them ..., and you could set them as part of your window defaults.

Builders should not be so foolish to do something with windows merely because the drawings apparently "say" this or that.

With all due respect Mr. Potter, it's that attitude that has helped lead us down the path to sloppy, ill conceived construction documents that builders no longer have much respect for. That attitude toward our profession has lead to builders looking to spec writers and less to the actual professional that is preparing the plans. I take great pride in my plans, and if the windows were graphically shown to have matching muntins, than I would fully expect that to be followed during construction.

I would agree with Joey. No manufacturer has a model number for a custom muntin configuration. As the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Eric absolutely needs he drawing to provide the dimension and a note that says "align horizontal muntin"

(And we haven't even touched on the value of being able to show the client an accurate image of what is proposed.)

These drawings form part of a legal contract and as such should be void of any ambiguity. Where this may occur it should be clearly identified and clarified.

Graham

Joe had the answer your looking for.

Not if the sizes you need to make the uniform horizontal work  do not fit into that matrix.

I wanted the windows to match the slope of the roof, so they needed to be a specific size.

One of the models I'm building as I explore Premier.

post-1284-0-74066200-1454457832_thumb.jpg