How To Do Alternate Exterior Elevations?

ACADuser

Looking at some threads I did not find many.

I was asked to furnish alternate front elevations. The columns on the porch will change. The wall finish will change from stucco to siding and the font hip will change to a gable.

How does one accomplish this showing two elevations in one plan?

Perhaps I did not find the relevant post or video for this problem.

Thanks

I do what Michael does as well. I usually will create a folder and place the extra files that I "Save As" 'd in them to easily find them. I usually name them whatever the file name is with "Elevation A, B, C, etc. And then I render different elevations. Good Luck Sir!

post-58-0-79171300-1454214791_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-66670300-1454214792_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-02587400-1454214794_thumb.jpg

The only time I do this is when we build a spec, and the builder specifically asks for it. I'm not asked to do this all the time. We don't have "Stock Plans" like most builders. We are a very custom, luxury builder. If that were the case, I normally wouldn't do anymore than 3 elevations (3 Files) and you can bet I charge for my time. Lol

• Upvote 1

I read that cosmetic options like wall finishes can be handles with Material Regions on different layers. But most changes take a structural change and best use the second copy of the plan file.

I'll give this a try.

BTW when you stop using a PLAN file associated with a LAYOUT file do you need to do anything special to sever this relation?

Say you delete all views in the LAYOUT file and save it to a new project. Is there any baggage from the old PLAN associated with the Save AS Layout file?

Rashid:

you pray that doesn't happen

it can be a real PITA :(

it would be nice if we had TOTAL layer control and could have

as-built, remod, alt1, alt2 etc all in the same plan

I understand that Softplan as had the "Build options" feature for many versions now

but have never seen a demo of it

with TOTAL layer control it would be - now you see it  - now you don't

Lew

Maybe I missed something.  How are walls being cut from one plan and placed in the exact same place on a DIFFERENT plan.  I think he said "6" every time he did this.  Is that a macro?  How are those walls going back exactly where they would have been even though the cut is from one plan and the paste is on another?

One tip I would add is to place (and save) your camera view(s) in the first elevation, BEFORE doing a save as. This way, you can have the exact same camera angle(s) in all the alternate elevations. Unfortunately, we can't copy and paste cameras from one plan to another and just applying the same numbers in the camera dbx doesn't always work if you've zoomed in with your mouse. 

• Upvote 1

.... Unfortunately, we can't copy and paste cameras from one plan to another and just applying the same numbers in the camera dbx doesn't always work if you've zoomed in with your mouse. 

I don't think this is hijacking as it seems germane to the

thread, but why can't we use the copy & paste functions

with cameras (and the undo/redo functions as well)?

There are many times I have wished that I could duplicate

a camera setup that I had used in a previous iteration of

a plan. Just recently I wanted to Copy & Reflect About 

a camera position so I could have identical shots of two

duplexes that have mirror image floor plans. Also if you

use the edit handles to move a camera in plan view you

can't Undo the moves. What gives?

• Upvote 1

Here's a tip to replicate a camera from one plan to the next (since we can't copy them)

1. Draw a line from the camera to the marker at the end that matches the camera you'd like to copy in the first plan. (CAM 1)
  2. Copy the line and paste in place in the second plan.
  3. Create a new camera (CAM 2) in the second plan snapping to the ends of the line you copied.
  4. Open the camera specifications on the camera in the first plan (CAM 1) and record the settings on the "Camera" tab.
  5. Input these settings in the dialog box for  the new camera (CAM 2).

Note that in step 1 you cannot snap to the camera object. If both plans need 'exactly' the same camera point of view you can use steps 2 through 5 to make two exact cameras.

This is why I have all my cameras already set up in my template plans and all I have to do is move them around. I really don't have to create camera's anymore. Elevations, sections, interior 3d views ,already set up and sent to the layout template, so when I start a new job it's all done so you can get to designing very quickly. Everything generates to the layout as you design.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...