Plan File Size Getting Out Of Control

tahoebrian5

I'm not even done with the as-builts and my file size is over 20 megs. It's not an overly large house.. Just a typical 3 bedroom two story with a garage. Any common pitfalls you guys know of to avoid this? I know, I know... Post the plan! I will when I get to the office.

One thing I have noticed when doing a save entire plan file was all the materials that I haven't put in the plan. I imagine they came in with the template plan. How do I get rid of them if that is the case? I can research this over the weekend if it is something obvious that I should have looked up:-)

Sherry makes a good point, is there a way to export just what is actually used in the file into a new stripped down file for the purpose of emailing or attaching to a post in this forum?

open your PLAN MATERIALS DBX and then PURGE,  all unused materials will go away.

post-50-0-34585200-1454095582_thumb.png

Another way to shrink file size is ditch the whole BIM thing.  An example would be the foundation to sill plate anchor bolts.  You don't really need to place a bolt every place one would go.  Make a cad detail that the concrete sub will understand.  There are many examples of this.  Lose all the furniture you may have placed on the plan (the framers don't care where you are putting your couch).  By themselves, none of these are big, but they all add up.  A good rule to go my is that most 2d elements take less file size than a 3d element (so delete that toaster that may be sitting on the counter top).

• Upvote 1