Reinforced Concrete Structure

javi_iq

Dear Friends,

I would like to design a Reinforced Concrete Structure using Chief Architect, but I can not find the options easily.

To define the Foundations (but not footings) are more intuitive, but the rest of elements (pillars, columns, slabs, beams, etc) made in concrete, is quite difficult for me.

Please, see the attached picture ("structura1"), to have an idea about what I would like to do, before to design the rest of elements (roofs, rooms, materials, etc).

Thank you in advance.

post-9835-0-72748000-1453992654_thumb.jpg

post-9835-0-13043600-1453992662_thumb.jpg

The easier bits:

Foundation walls and strip footings can be created using the Build>Wall>Straight Foundation Wall tool. Use the Room Specification>Structure tab to define wall heights, etc.

Isolated strip footings and footing pads can be created using the Build>Slab tool.

Enlarged footings beneath foundation walls can be created using the Build>Slab>Square Pad tool.

Slab-on-Grade floors can be defined using the Room Specification>Structure>Floor Structure options.

Columns can be created using the Build>Framing>Post tool.

The difficult bits:

One-way and two-way slab floors can't be automatically created. You can define the overall depth of the floor in the Room Specification>Structure tab, but accurate modeling of the slab profile will have to be done using other methods. A one-way slab could be created using a "floor slab" with rectangular slabs as the beam sections:

post-95-0-99106100-1453997141_thumb.png

A two-way slab could be created in a similar manner. There are other methods, such as using soffits, etc., that may work better for you. You could even define joists as rectangular concrete sections. Learning the tools, then playing with them in unconventional ways, can help you achieve what you're after.

Concrete stairs are also a problem. Chief's stair tools are lacking in many ways. The Reference Manual explains how you can create a reasonable facsimile of a concrete stair, but you may be better served by creating a CAD profile in section view and converting it to a polyline solid.

Good luck.

javi_iq (please give us a name to address you by) - you could use rectangular polylines in elevation, break the edges to the profile of your floor sections, and convert them to a polyline solid. That could be adjusted in plan for proper width, etc. Problem with this method is you don't have as much automation and control if things should change later. You will probably still have to use a different element, slabs, other polyline solids, tools, etc. for the perpendicular floor beams. Others will no doubt chime in and give other methods to consider.

Your project is certainly an "outside of the box" for CA, but it can be done.

Mike

Dear Friends, Mike and Robert,

Definitely it is a "outside of the box" using CA. But it can be done using polylines, exported through CAD blocks.

Another option is to configure the different dimensions (Room Specification>Structure > Floor Above (A), Ceiling (B), Stem Wall Top ©, etc). Using this configuration, in combination adding Foundations and Post with Footings, could be done.

Thank you for your support.

Javier Martínez

X6-X7

Windows 10, 64 bits

Intel® Core i5-4200U 1.60 GHz

Inter® HD Graphics 4400