X8 Cabinet Side Panels

Dennis_Gavin

Trying to see how flexible the new options are for cabinets.  I did a framed glass panel, match front.  Well that gives me a door with a knob(default)  What if I just want a pane and no knob?  Can't turn off knob for just that door panel.  I can install a custom panel but don't see any plane single glass panels anywhere.  Do I have to make one for my library or is there another way?  I am envisioning glass inset panels on left and right side. 

Have not test x8 yet, but this has always been an issue. Cabinets with multiply door sections can't be controlled individually for hardware, it's all or nothing. You either have to turn off the hardware and float-in the hardware where you need it or stack individual cabinets together so they can be independently controlled. For decorative side panels I usually float-in a separate door panel versus using the cabinet feature. This allows complete control over the panel and can adjust it's width to overlap the protruding face door, which is my preferred look.

Graham

Trying to see how flexible the new options are for cabinets.  I did a framed glass panel, match front.  Well that gives me a door with a knob(default)  What if I just want a pane and no knob?  Can't turn off knob for just that door panel.  I can install a custom panel but don't see any plane single glass panels anywhere.  Do I have to make one for my library or is there another way?  I am envisioning glass inset panels on left and right side. 

Okay, so you're question prompted me to make the jump to X8 this morning.  Not sure if you're trying to build a base or wall cabinet, but I've attached a quick sample plan using a base cabinet (probably the more complicated option). 

I think the trick is to use a custom panel for the sides (thereby giving independent material control).  If you're using library items for the door and/or drawer fronts you can just change the panel/door/drawer material to glass, but then the drawer box itself also changes to glass (probably not a problem for a wall cabinet).

post-46-0-43293200-1453996286_thumb.jpg

Cabinet test.plan

Michael - I was interested in a wall cabinet.  I just made a simple one lite glass door panel and it works fine.

Just didn't know if there was an option I was missing.  Obviously matching front created a problem if you

don't want hardware for an operable door.  The cabinet features are getting better and better.  LOVE the split

horizontal - vertical options!!

In X8, cabinet sides and backs can work just like fronts.  This means that you have all of the configuration controls that you have for fronts.  Instead of marking a side as "Match Front" you can mark it as "Custom Face" which allows full customization of the configuration.  As an added convenience, if you first switch the side face to match front and then switch it to custom face, it will pick up the front configuration which can save some work when you go to customize it.

So if you want a particular door style on your cabinet front and a side panel that matches, all you need to do is make the side a Custom Face and make the face item a Door Panel.  Door Panels will use your door style but not include any hardware or opening indicators.

Michael - I did/do have X7.  Was just appreciating both it and X8.

Dermot - I made my cabinet front door framed glass, chose custom face for side, and door panel.  I did not get a framed

door panel with glass..   As mentioned above I did created my own framed glass panel and used that to get what I want.

"I made my cabinet front door framed glass, chose custom face for side, and door panel.  I did not get a framed door panel with glass.. "

My best guess is that you changed the front door by changing the door style for the individual face item instead of changing the door style for the whole cabinet.  Changing the door style on the Door/Drawer tab affects the whole cabinet.  Changing the door style for a face item only affects that face item.

Of course, I can't know for sure what you did without a plan.

I get the same behavior.  As soon as the door on the side is changed to a door panel, the glass is removed. 

I am not to sure I get this behavior.  But here is a challenge,

try to have a glass door on the front,

a glass PANEL  (not a door) on the left 

a panel on the right (without glass)

I can get glass on the side,  but it must be a door and not a panel....  (which means I get a door knob on the side which I do not want.

Apparently there is a bug with the parametric door styles.  If you choose Framed Doors and the set the option for Glass Doors, this does not work for Door Panels.  This is actually a bug in X7 and doesn't matter if your Door Panel is on the front or any other side.

For now, you can choose a glass panel door style from the library and it should work correctly.

We will look into this more to see if we can get a fix into a future update.

I am not to sure I get this behavior. But here is a challenge,

try to have a glass door on the front,

a glass PANEL (not a door) on the left

a panel on the right (without glass)

I can get glass on the side, but it must be a door and not a panel.... (which means I get a door knob on the side which I do not want.

Easy peasy. Check the plan I attached earlier (Post #3). If you choose a door or panel from the library, it makes materials for those items completely independent of the rest of the cabinet AND other face items.

I'm not at the office but when back will post some of what I've done. The one thing that I've found which seams the easiest approach has been to first select match front. After it matches I change to custom.

Looks like you have this sussed but as promised.

There were a lot more variation on this and a number of cad exchanged with factory once it was settled -one of those.

Just dropped some I had into a plan

The only one that requires a work around is the one closest to the camera- Where overlay side panels flush out to the door- pretty common in frameless (and you certainly can't do it that way :) The second one in line from left was an attempt to do that with traditional overlay but didn't work for some reason- really thought it would.

Aside from that so far (since public beta) this has been all I could hope for.

post-85-0-84634400-1454018862_thumb.jpg

yes, that is what I did and it is a custom door panel I made from polyline solids.  The library did not have a plane single pane

glass door.

I just noticed that if I opened an x7 plan that had framed door panels  (no molding on inset of panel),  when I brought to X8,  the framed door  panel  (shaker) now how molding on inside panel.

In X7 we could pick framed door panels in a CA template plan,  no longer.  Nuts.