Siding On Icf Wall

djhplanning

What is the best way to add horizontal siding to the above grade portion of an ICF foundation wall.  See attached photos.  I used a wall material region and painted on siding but I am getting these vertical streaks showing.  I believe there are walls on the interior of the foundation where these streaks are showing.  What is happening here?  Is there another better way to show siding on this portion of the ICF foundation wall?

post-9181-0-12797500-1453910732_thumb.jpg

post-9181-0-72535400-1453910739_thumb.jpg

I seriously doubt that

That's why I covered my butt by saying "just a guess".

Looking closer the siding breaks do appear to align with the interior wall intersects as you noted. If the plan was posted then maybe it could be resolved in less than 13 posts. Only 7 postings left to go after this one.

Graham

The streaks will go away for a while if I apply the siding again or if I open the wall material region dialog box, change nothing and hit ok to close.  Then after a while they will appear again. ???  I have also tried unchecking the cut finish layers of parent object box in dialog box.

Looks like that but I played with a simple model and could not replicate it no matter what I did with the interior walls. They always snapped properly to the inside face as they should. Even extended an invisible wall through and it did not disrupt the siding finish. Played with the wall material region, changed thickness, cut finish on/off, etc, everything worked as it should. The problematic plan needs to be posted. This was done on X7.

Graham

And just like that, Scott is the winner.  Post #13 and no solution.

lol,   it really was not too difficult to predict a solution could not be had  without a plan.

The really difficult part is predicting the number of guesses without a plan. 

But I will take the winner's medal and put it on my mantle next to my "Jerk of the Month" award.

But on to more important topics,  who will win  the Super Bowl?  My prediction....  Denver,  they have the best defense and the most experienced quarterback.

What is the best way to add horizontal siding to the above grade portion of an ICF foundation wall.  See attached photos.  I used a wall material region and painted on siding but I am getting these vertical streaks showing.  I believe there are walls on the interior of the foundation where these streaks are showing.  What is happening here?  Is there another better way to show siding on this portion of the ICF foundation wall?

Hey Dan,

As the others have said, it would really best to attach the plan file.  Its too difficult to tell simply based on screenshots exactly how you've constructed your model.  There are just a ton of little variables that come into play.

It looks like your problem is probably rooted in your wall definitions though. Again, attach a plan for a more accurate answer. 

I don't want to sound like a jerk Dan, I'm really just trying to be helpful...truth is that if you're not willing to help us help you by posting a plan that you're pretty quickly gonna burn some bridges around here.  It may not be your intention,  but as a group we end up spending an inordinate amount of time guessing at problems that are more often than not solved very quickly when a plan is attached. 

I've seen countless threads answered in mere minutes when plans are attached.  I've also seen a ton of 10-15 post threads where the problem is never solved because there's no plan to look at. 

When I open/close the Material Region dbx, the problem vanishes until I close/open the plan file. I don't know what's up with the Material Regions, but you can eliminate the problem using Wall Types.

1) Delete the Material Regions.

2) Define a Wall Type for ICF with the siding:

post-95-0-88900100-1453995847_thumb.png

3) Select the appropriate walls and define them as pony walls:

post-95-0-76229400-1453995855_thumb.png

4) Enjoy the result:

post-95-0-11973600-1453995929_thumb.png

When I open/close the Material Region dbx, the problem vanishes until I close/open the plan file. I don't know what's up with the Material Regions, but you can eliminate the problem using Wall Types.

1) Delete the Material Regions.

2) Define a Wall Type for ICF with the siding:

attachicon.gificf1.PNG

3) Select the appropriate walls and define them as pony walls:

attachicon.gificf2.PNG

4) Enjoy the result:

attachicon.gificf3.PNG

Thanks for the help with setting up a wall type for this.  I figured there was a better way but have not been working with Chief for very long.

I just closed and reopened the plan and I get the same problem.  Maybe this is something that was fixed in X8?  I am currently using X7 and have not upgraded yet.

I can confirm,  I opened in x7 and I see the problem,  I do not have problem in x8.

Thanks for attaching the plan...I gave you a reputation point as a token of my appreciation : )

As Robert pointed out, the biggest problem is your wall definition.  In X7 you can open those 2 exterior walls and without making any changes just click OK and close the wall dbx and the problem sort of goes away.  Better wall definition still the way to go though.  Even adding another zero thickness exterior foam layer fixes the problem.  I think the issue arises because all you have is main layers.  Therefore, there's no "buffer" between your interior walls and the exterior of your exterior wall.  The material region automatically cuts for doors, windows, and wall changes, and because of that lack of a "buffer", it gets confused.  This is just a guess though. 

Another possible solution would be to build a separate furring wall instead of using a material region (or pony wall). 

• Upvote 1