Using More Than One Hdd Or Ssd

Electromen

I just downloaded CA 8 and was going through the preferences and defaults.

My Mac Pro had four internal drives.  The CA application is one Drive 1, a solid state drive with the OS and all other applications.

In the past, I've had all other CA files, Plans and Layouts on the same Drive 1.

Am I better off moving some of the folders to a different Drive?  Would it increase speed?

The folders I'm looking at are Data, Temporary, Undo, Shared Patterns, User Backup, Plans and Layouts.

Having everything on the SSD drive is as good as it gets. Use the other HDD for archiving, or infrequently accessed files if your SSD is getting full. Also, not sure splitting up core Chief files is the best idea, Chief has default locations for file storage and if you change these you will likely have to do this each time you upgrade. From my perspective you are best to leave things as per the software developers design, although it may not appear obvious they usually have solid reasoning for setting things up a certain way.

Graham

Having everything on the SSD drive is as good as it gets. Use the other HDD for archiving, or infrequently accessed files if your SSD is getting full. Also, not sure splitting up core Chief files is the best idea, Chief has default locations for file storage and if you change these you will likely have to do this each time you upgrade. From my perspective you are best to leave things as per the software developers design, although it may not appear obvious they usually have solid reasoning for setting things up a certain way.

Graham

Thanks for the advice Graham.  I'll leave CA folders alone and move my older 2014 plans and layouts folder to one of the other drives to free up space.  The SSD is 480GB with 179GB free.  All of my photos and video on are the other 2TB drives, each is about 50% full.

Glad this helped Greg.

I have learned over the years to temper my system tweaking and as a result I seem to have fewer issues. Too many times those tweaks that seemed beneficial at the time would only lead to unexpected issues later on. On top of that it was very difficult to resolve a problem as I would rarely remember what my tweak settings were or my premise for doing it in the first place. Also, I you need outside tech support it is really difficult or impossible for them to assist if you have altered things from their original settings. Some things are just best left alone, if it ain't broke then why fix it, or maybe better why waste your time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Graham