X8 Beta And X7 Conflick?

Larry_Sweeney

Just to let you know up front, I am not "computer savy" in any way. I installed X8 Beta the other day and opened it to get a quick look around without any noticeable hitches, but until today I haven't had the chance to open X7 to work on an ongoing project. With nothing opened I tried to open X7 and I get this message post-76-0-34553100-1453660942_thumb.jpg. After hitting the "OK" this message shows up post-76-0-40783000-1453661065_thumb.jpg. Again I hit "OK" and the operation closes down.  I went to my X7 file in my Documents Library, where I have it filed, clicked on a plan to open and X8 Beta opens with the plan instead of X7 opening. With X8 Beta open I tried opening X7 while holding down the Control key, but I get the same warning message that the program is already running and X7 will not open. Can anyone explain to me what the h*** is going on.  :(  Thank you in advance.

Larry, if you right click on the X8 icon on your desktop you can click on "run as administrator" in the advanced section, to take care of the first message. the second one not sure but I have also seen that one usually when trying to open 2 versions at the same time or for some reason windows is not deleting it from your running tasks when you close it so it thinks it's still running. 

Perry..........For some reason Windows thinks X7 is still running when it's not. I don't have a problem opening X6 or X5. It just seems that when I try opening X7 I get the warning that it is already running, but when I open the Task Manager X7 is not shown running. Any ideas. Oh, I greatly appreciate your time and assistance.

I restarted the computer. I then waited 1/2 hour (football game). I then tried to open X7 and still got the warning it was already running and would not open. X5,X6 and X8 Beta would open. With no CA's open I held down the Control key and tried to open X7 and it would not open (said program was already running). I then opened X8 Beta. After that was open I then held the Control key down and was able to open X6 or X5 with no problem. When I tried to do the same with X7 I would get the warning the program was already running. I have no problem opening X8 Beta------just X7/

Larry,

I had this problem this week and after not being able to open x-7 to work on a plan I had started in X-7 called teck support and answer was to open task manager and it showed X-7 open .Closed it in task manager and clicked on X-7 icon and hit run as administrator. Opened with no problem that way.

Hope this works for you, Have a great week ,Ken

Larry, if you right click on the X8 icon on your desktop you can click on "run as administrator"  

Running Chief as "administrator" will mess with some functions.   I found this out when I was trying to track down another issue I was having with chief and was running it this way.   I tried to drag and drop a .skp file into chief and it would not work.   Still worked in X7.   The guys at chief asked if I was running as admin as that would cause an issue.   Turned out they were right!