Ca X8 And X7 - Installed On Same Computer

ComputerMaster86

Lew, did you run a beta version and released simultaneously before? Seems risky until the bugs are worked out?....looks like admin rights are causing some issues and one program won't fully close so the other can be launched. I don't get that since I have 7 on one and 8 beta on the other and I can run both licenses at the same time so it's not a license admin issue I don't think but what do I know.  :wacko:

Ok may be worth a try. When I download 8 it will populate my C-Drive where 7 is in a different folder? I keep my work on an external drive in case the computer goes belly up. I take it I need to download all my library files like all Catalogs again, user stays with any plan if i remember right. I got no idea I called CA last week looking for instructions on what I have to do to run both on the same PC or best practices since this will be a first for me? I can't afford to loose work right now.  

Terry,

Chief X8 will automatically install in separate folders.  The biggest thing to remember is that you want to have a separate folder/sub-folders for the X8 plans than for X7.  Once you save a plan in X8 it can not be opened in X7.  So you should make sure you save in X8 to your X8 folders.  That way your X7 plans will still be available.

Take a look at Preferences > New Plans > Open and Save As but remember when you open an X7 plan in X8 - immediately save it to your X8 folder.

My standard procedure is to copy all the current X7 plan folders to the X8 folder.  You will also need to relink your projects so that the Layouts and Plans are pointing to the correct version folders.

I keep all my plans in a separate folder for each project

I add the ver id to the file name to keep X6 and X7 and X8 separate

if I should work on the same project with different versions

also for future reference I know what ver the plan belongs to

naming convention:  123_OAK_160125_1310_LBX7.plan

LB = my initials, JK would be my partner = that way we know we last worked on the plan

Lew

Sounds like some have issues others don't. 

I have X8 installed on my new LT below  :D but I don't see X7 download available in my digital locker?... I have it installed on an old LT about ready for the recycle bin  :angry:  :wacko:  :blink:

Once 8 is released is 7 no longer available for download or am I blind as a bat? 

I believe you will have to reimport all of the bonus and manufacturer catalogs.  I usually save them somewhere on my computer so I don't have to re-download them all.  I would do this step first before importing your User library.

To migrate your User Library over:

In the X7 library, select the user folder, right click, select export library.

Open X8, select library, import and browse to the file you just created.  All your User library will be imported, complete with any shortcuts. 

Next step; Library, Update Library Catalogs to make sure everything is up to date

Just to be clear, there is no reason you can't run multiple versions of Chief Architect on the same computer.  I personally have over 2 dozen different Chief Architect products installed on my computer and I am able to run all of them without any conflicts.

The only thing that I am aware of that might be causing some people problems has to do with file associations.  Windows only allows one program to be associated with a given file type.  If you want to be able to double-click on a ".plan" file to automatically launch the program and open the plan, Windows has to know which program you want associated with the plan file.  If you always launch the program first and then open your plan using "File->Open", you should never have any issues.  This is not a new issue because Windows has worked this way for a very long time.

A small number of people have reported problems launching X7 after installing X8.  This is a problem in X7 having to do with the two programs fighting over the file associations.  If you try to launch X7 and you get an error message about the program already running (even after restarting your computer), you can solve this problem using the following steps:

- Close the program and restart your computer.

- Right click on X7 and click "run as administrator".  The program should open without an issue.  If it doesn't, then please contact tech support for help.

- Open a new plan from within the program, then close the plan, and then close the program.

- You should now be able to run the program normally (not as an administrator).  

If you are still having any problems, please contact our tech support for more help.

I was having having trouble opening up Chief Architect X7 tonight.  I installed Chief Arcjitect X8 (Beta) earlier this week.  It turned out that after I ended the process "Chief Architect X7 Premier.exe" and then re-clicked on the program icon, it finally opened the program.  I have a picture below.

post-8172-0-88965900-1453870465_thumb.jpg