Mysterious Attic Walls And 2 Other Quirks

Stevenplane

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

I'm giving up for the night.  

Attached is a barn home plan I'm working on and everything is going swimmingly except for 3 things:  

1).  If you go up to attic level floorplan (or 3D view), there's these strange little attic walls that I just can't seem to get rid of.  They are apparently tied to walls in one of the floors below but I can't figure it out.  Perhaps they are remnants of an auto floating dormer I tried?  (I'm going to be adding a "light chimney" over the stairwell eventually...it's basically a 7' x 7' chimney with windows covered by a hip roof that comes to a point.  I tried unsuccessfully to make it with the floating dormer tool)

2).  For some reason the "gable wall" on the barn door side that has two windows is inexplicably cut into two shapes.  One seems to be deriving from the wall below, the other from the attic wall?  It seems to have something to do with the "Open Below" section but I just can't seem to figure it out.

3).  Finally, when doing a 3D walkthrough from the ground floor, there's a strip of sheetrock missing in the "Open to Below" area on the exterior wall.  It's missing where there would have been 16" floor trusses were in not for the "Open to Below" section.

You might be wondering, why balloon frame the 24' walls?  My theory is the rafters for the gambrel are going to have some pretty stout thrust on them.  I don't want those rafters bearing on 5' pony walls.  So, my solution is to have those 24' walls balloon to 5' above the tops of the 16" floor trusses.  The 36' walls are shorter so the floor trusses can bear on them.  Make sense?

I hope someone can tell me what obvious thing I'm missing here.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Lotfi Barn Home ver.2.plan

Thank you so much for the video!  I told my wife last night that the folks on Chief Talk are always so helpful and generous with their time.  I never expected anything like this though!

As far as the little foundation thing at the end of your video that you were puzzled about...I fixed it pretty easily.  If you pull the stairs back you can see there is a closet under there that extends under the stair landing platform.  (I hate for any storage space to go to waste...if you notice, I even left the area under the bottom set of stairs open...great place for muddy shoes when you enter the house)  Anyway, I couldn't figure out why it kept getting jacked up there so I just deleted the closet door wall and replaced it with a new one.  I don't know what the original issue was but it fixed the problem so who cares?

Again, thanks so much for all of your help!

Now I'm going to go figure out how to add an 8'x8' "Light Chimney" over that set of stairs.  I'm thinking of starting with manual dormer videos...I'll keep you posted!