Windows 10 And Chief 10

jeff14

We are occasional users of CA and own 4 chief 10 licenses. we are perfectly satisfied with Chief 10. it does what we want. we use the cad side of the program.  i have successfully loaded it on win 8.1 on all our computers with out much problem. has anyone tried to load CA 10 onto windows 10.

i resent program company's' that force us into upgrading to the newer version, it's like telling my customers that they need a new kitchen every few years because it doesn't have the latest appliances. We always offer our assistance to people, a former customer or not, the best solution to their questions weather it leads to more work for us or not. that is the honest way. Many of the software companies have fallen into this unethical trap but not all. Bluebeam software supports versions of it's software that we bought 7 years ago. All architects and contractors should consider using the program. back to win 10 and chief 10 has anyone tried to see if the can work together? I won't waste my time trying to contact Cheif as i'm sure they would not even offer the a solution even if they could. Thank you

Jeff:

I have "tons" of Chief 10 era training, cad collections, library collections etc for free

I also have lots of other cad stuff like Turbocad, Sketchup, TraversePC etc

If you live within driving distance of Lockport NY (I'm willing to drive some)

you can it all

way too costly to mail

please contact me if you are interested

Lew

I have Chief Architect Version 10 on my PC installed in Windows XP x32. I have never successfully gotten it to run properly in Windows 7 or 10. That is why I still have XP for antique software that I have (Chief Version 7. 9 '10 and X1). I have found that very workable to run those applications in the operating system they were designed for.

DJP

I have Chief Ver 10 running on Win 10. You will have to install the Ver 10 update from the Chief site after installing Ver 10 on a Win 10 machine. In addition, if you are using a hardware lock (HASP), you may have to update the driver for that if Win 10 did not automatically do that.

I agree this constant version upgrade is annoying, but why is it one can't make V10 work on a win10 machine and another can? All along I accepted the fact that 10 wouldn't run right on Win7 so I have kept V10 with the dongle running on one of my laptops or a dedicated winXP desktop. Although I have a decent win7 setup, I was led to believe that now we needed to at least get up to V2(12?) on a Win7 machine? Then one could use the dual monitors,  something I always desired?

So, I recently did the V7 upgrade so i can get Chief up and running on my Win7 machine, and I accept that there are more bells and whistles, but I really do expect a performance improvement......but

how is it that one can make V10 run on a win7 or win10 machine?? Although my old Sager laptop is a 13# boat anchor, I kept it running XP just so I could handle Chief 10 in a portable setting. I'm thinking I should keep it this way, do limited field work in 10, then essentially redo it in V7? I have not explored the 10 plan moved to V7 capabilities yet?

Essentially life moves on

I bought my first computer in 1978

I have had to buy many since then

the general rule  is to buy the software you need

then buy the computer that can run it (best)

for ver 10 that was XP and Vista

I would rather have CA's resources working on the next upgrade

rather than making fixes to an antique version 10

Lew

Thanks for the input. i will try to install chief 10 when i upgrade to win 10. we have successfully installed 4 licenses of chief 10 on win 7, win 8, and win 8.1. CA was no help but version 10 worked with out any issues on each computer. jeff