Windows Tight To Corner: X8 Still Won't Do

GeneDavis

post-96-0-20123700-1453431522_thumb.jpgTwo things I am not understanding (not a big surprise) about this then Gene.

First is, do you mean you want it to automatically do this? I was able to build a couple walls and put in a couple windows in a corner then take out the 2xs that framed automatically and replace them with one 4x4, no problem.

All manually of course.

Secondly, I am wondering how the actual framing at the header and the 4x4 is to work. Do you "let in" the header to the 4x4? That is to say, cut a notch in it to set the header?

Andy.

Two images attached.  2x6 walls, casement windows, default set to "ignore casing . . . "

First image shows windows tight but without making the special move to go tighter.  6" is the offset.  The 6 is the 5.5 framing plus the 1/2" R.O. margin.

Second image shows what you get when doing what I call the jam move.  The corner "post" offset is given by the program as 2-9/16"

What I want is 4" (4x4 corner post actually 3.5" square, plus the 1/2") and there is no way to get it.

Try it yourself and see.

For Andy, yes I know one can edit-frame a 4x4 there.  What I want is for Chief to build it and show it both in the 2D plan for layout, and in 3D for rendering. 

I have framed this condition myself.  The windows adjacent the corner are bought with 4-9/16" frames and 2" extensions are field-applied at three sides, their head and sill legs mitering into each other at the corner.  The corner inside casing is a 3/4 x 3/4 strip.  The framing headers have an interesting joinery arrangement with the 4x4 post.  If you are interested, I will show it here.

post-55-0-91412800-1453484294_thumb.png

post-55-0-02418600-1453484311_thumb.png

Only way to show it is the Sketchup model I uploaded to the 3D Warehouse.

See the image.  You'll be able to ID it and download it into Sketchup.

The model shows half, and the other half is almost a mirror of what is shown.  The headers join with large screws over a post that is below, and the model shows the half of the header set that actually bears on the column.

I've no idea how this can be accomplished in a locale with earthquake codes like exist in CA.  I did in NY, the part of NY that has its own earthquake code.

As-built, these wall corners all had truss-framed hipped roofs all bearing atop.  Spacing was 2/0 and there were very small loads from roof over the window bays.  The large beefy headers were there due to porch roof beams framing into them from outside, the beams coming into Simpson concealed-flange hangers.  

post-55-0-64935500-1453485879_thumb.png