Gable Roof Perp. To Gable...over Garage

T-Square

Hello,

First off....YES...I know this is a very old version of Chief(v10). Please reserve your self justification of your success and wealth for someone else. I can't afford the new version. I am seeking help, not criticism.

I have attached two files. An elevation I created in AutoCAD and the Chief(v10) *.plan file. The elevation shows what I am trying to do with the roof over the garage door. I can't seem to get this to work. I have broken the roof lines into different pieces and tried to get what I am presuming would be an attic wall to show up above the garage door at the gable roof over the garage door. In reality the framer "over frames" this over the roof sheathing so it's not a cathedral or anything, just a roof over the other roof. This is ONLY for a 3D image for a client and thus why there are no walls in the plan. It's only for a nice 3D image of the exterior.

Other thing to note is the foundation is a serious pain in the rear to deal with in v10 and never comes out correct. Most all stem walls and footings up here are set all at the same level, the garage slab is 4" thick, sloped from the rear to the front and the 4" slab is "poured over" the stem wall 4" below the top of the stem wall where the garage door or man door is. So, consequently the foundation part of this plan is not correct. Again, it's only a 3D image for a client.

The last thing that does not look correct is the deck railings/posts. No easy way to edit this correctly in v10.

Given that I cannot afford an upgrade from this doggedly slow 32 bit v10...I still create my construction documents using AutoCAD.

I have looked for help but it's all for the new versions. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Tim

post-8477-0-25043000-1453338373_thumb.jpg

F1_Plan.plan

Part of the issue may be the 2d you have shown won't work in real life or 3d.  You either need to break the fascia under the gable and add returns on each side, or make the gable more a "blind" dormer. 

There are obviously other design options but regardless require changes.  These are the two most obvious to me when I look at this.

post-75-0-11640600-1453339755_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-40798300-1453339759_thumb.jpg

Regarding your roof issue, I'm not sure what will and will not work in v10, however Here's what I would do (at least in X7)...

1.  Select those 2 upper roof planes and Cut and the Paste Hold Position onto level below.  Now all roof planes are on the same level.

2.  Place 3 breaks in your lower roof.  One at each of the 2 lower corners of your upper roof and one at the peak of your upper roof.

3.  Drag the center break up so that it snaps to the the top of your 2 valleys.

4.  Use Join Roof Planes tool to get the planes to join to each other at each valley connection.  This step may not really be necessary if you snap the roofs close enough.

5.  Create a new roof plane for the small section above the garage door.  What I did was simply Copy Paste In Place the whole roof plane over the garage and just resized accordingly.

6.  Draw an exterior wall on the 2nd floor directly above your front garage wall and designate it an attic wall.  This could be done at any time during the process.

post-46-0-74084700-1453342104_thumb.png

Johnny,

You are correct about the 2D. :-)

Alaskan Son,

Thanks for the info. In v10 it's a real pain to get things to look right. I've had to "fudge" things to get them to look correct and my biggest pain is the foundation, the way the slab sits in the garage(pour overs or a true free floatinig slab). I simply can't use Chief like I can AutoCAD...at least not until I can get the latest version. I've broken the roof lines before but can never seem to get Chief v10 to get the "actual" framing and thus the model to look correct.

Thanks AK. Good to get a response from a fellow Alaskan. Breakin roof lines. :-)

Johnny,

You are correct about the 2D. :-)

Alaskan Son,

Thanks for the info. In v10 it's a real pain to get things to look right. I've had to "fudge" things to get them to look correct and my biggest pain is the foundation, the way the slab sits in the garage(pour overs or a true free floatinig slab). I simply can't use Chief like I can AutoCAD...at least not until I can get the latest version. I've broken the roof lines before but can never seem to get Chief v10 to get the "actual" framing and thus the model to look correct.

Thanks AK. Good to get a response from a fellow Alaskan. Breakin roof lines. :-)

T-square, you know that Chief now has the rental purchase plan for around $199 a month you can get the latest vs w/SSA. Cost a little more that way but was easier for me to come up with the cash a little each month (about 14 months I think) in stead of the full amount.

Just in case you hadn't thought about that?