Recessed Floor System

cliffy

I do not think Eric did a good job of helping you (he is usually great when it comes to solutions).  This is relatively complicated if the section cut is important to you.  The Great GW may put in his 2 cents.

I have not tried this,  so I could be totally off base.  At the very least, it seems like you must  build a PONY WALL to get the two thickness of concrete wall.  The difficult part would be the additional concrete on the outside of wall to support the brick veneer.  It seems like you would also need to be very particular in defining your wall definition including locating BUILD PLATFORM TO THIS EDGE definition.

Sorry,  not a lot of help,  but maybe someone will take the time to figure this out for you.  Maybe Eric will take another stab at it.....  I bet if he spent a little time with it,  he might come up with the solution for you.

Don't want to get too far off subject here, but that really looks like a faulty design to me.  That little 3" or 4" thick foundation section looks like a failure waiting to happen. 

There is some merit to what Michael is saying.

Don't want to get too far off subject here, but that really looks like a faulty design to me.  That little 3" or 4" thick foundation section looks like a failure waiting to happen. 

The brick is also load bearing, and notice the 2x wall is located directly above the concrete. Pretty typical detail.  Why do you see failure?

The brick is also load bearing, and notice the 2x wall is located directly above the concrete. Pretty typical detail.  Why do you see failure?

There are quite a few little issues in my opinion...

1.  Whether or not brick is "load bearing" is somewhat debatable and depends on the seismic zone, product, and installation details.

2.  a 3-4" concrete wall is not even allowable per IRC with the exception of pier and curtain wall foundations (which I suppose this may or may not be).

3.  Based on the height and thickness of that 3-4" section,  I'm not sure it's even possible to meet the minimum edge separation and embedment depth requirements for those j bolts...and if it is,  they would have to be set absolutely perfectly and rotated so that the j was running parallel with the foundation wall (and not perpendicular as drawn up).

4.  Based on that drawing, the j-bolts would not be placed properly centered in the sill plate as that should be (likely violating code in many areas...and rightly so).

5.  Not necessarily a design flaw, but the j-bolts in the lower wall section would also need special attention to make sure the proper embedment depth and edge clearances were met. To make sure this happened, they should probably actually be placed at a slight angle (or maybe using a different bolt design). 

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely don't think I could find an engineer around here willing to sign off on that detail.

Too much thermal bridging. How about something like this?

The stemwall in not drawn thick enough here -- should be 10" instead of 7" as shown, so plenty of room for a 2x6 plate.

attachicon.gifwall detail 1.jpg

Nope,  he wants the concrete to go up to the underside of floor sheathing with a sill plate.  Please review his detail.  It is a tough condition to model.