Panel Railing For Stairs

Dennis_Gavin

.....but that's a secondary issue and wasn't part of Dennis' request. 

okay,  it is not Gavin's request,  so now it is my request,  why can't I build it so it looks good?

Suppose I add a newel at the corner,  will that help?  Seriously,  this is the kind of stuff the users have been complaining about for eons now when it comes to modeling stairs.

If we can't make it look good,  let's say so. 

Here is the plan,  maybe you can fix it.

Sorry, don't have X8 yet.  Waiting for full public release to make sure kinks are worked out.  To be fair though,  I'm not so sure I'll be able to fix that connection issue.  Again,  that's sort of a secondary issue though. 

okay, it is not Gavin's request, so now it is my request, why can't I build it so it looks good?

Suppose I add a newel at the corner, will that help? Seriously, this is the kind of stuff the users have been complaining about for eons now when it comes to modeling stairs.

If we can't make it look good, let's say so.

We can't make it look good without adding an extra newel post. Adding an extra newel could fix it though. Here's something to think about...

That connection isn't possible to perfect in real life either. It would need a newel post or plinth block of some sort for the transition.

.....That connection isn't possible to perfect in real life either. It would need a newel post or plinth block of some sort for the transition.

agreed,  good point,  however,  even if I hold railing back,  it is difficult to make it look good.

post-50-0-95966400-1453245942_thumb.png

agreed,  good point,  however,  even if I hold railing back,  it is difficult to make it look good.

Ya, that's what I was envisioning.  With the railing width you're using though you would need a bigger newel or block anyway.  Use a smaller rail or larger corner post and it should look just fine. 

In real life the only way I've been able to get those railing transitions to work (as shown in the pics so far) is by treating them as "separate" sections.  This has always been a challenge area.

There are design changes you can make to the landing that allows a continuous railing, but it ends up having an additional transition (making the landing longer in one direction) so the rail can run "level" for a few inches or so, and then the additional transition.  If you want complete symmetry, then you can run the landing and equal length so the "level" rail area makes the 90 degree turn before it transitions down (or up) again.

Not sure if this explains what I mean, but its the way to make this work.

Make the baluster width zero in the stair dbx, the you have the stair system with railings over it! And finally Use the rail style panel(solid no rails) and make it to follow the stair. Don't forget to play with Newel spacing to get the look you want.

The problem is that Chief is bending down the lower section (before it meets the landing) of the upper stair rail to make it meet (the height) the lower stair railing. 

You can see this bending easily if you do an elevation of the upper stair rail, although, it is visible in the 3D views.

The only way I can clean up the junction and get rid of the auto rail bending is to increase the height of the lower stair rail.

In this pic, I made the lower stair rail 37 1/4" high, which is the minimum difference (upper rail is 36") that I could get the junction to auto heal. 

You would still need to place a newel at the junction.

Keep in mind that even if both rails were the same height above the stairs, they would still join like the attached pic, and there would still have to be a newel.

The top rails would not meet at the same height because of the number of  risers at the inside corner. 

post-106-0-44095200-1453336184_thumb.jpg