Panel Railing For Stairs

Dennis_Gavin

Having difficulty with getting a glass panel railing for stairs.  If I use a wall that follows the stairs I

don't get an option for rail to pass over newel and I get breaks in the top rail at each panel.

If I use standard stair railing I don't have an option for newel spacing with panel and I am

getting multiple panels going sideways.  Suggestions?

using X8

post-132-0-64278500-1453221763_thumb.jpg

Open the stair dbx, turn off the railing on left and right.  Look for the tab called rail style, change it to "panels.  Look for tab called 'build from", change it to say "follow stairs".  Look for tab called "newels & balusters", change it your selection from the library.  The top rail may be breaking because the panels are repeating.  Make sure you have your top rail defined.  You can even select one from the library.

It is not the dbx for the stair.  It is the dbx for the RAIL.  You have to manually draw a rail wall on the stairs after you have turned the automatic one off.  Then click on the rail (not the stair).  That is where you will find all those controls.  Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry.  Had to step away for client mtg.  I have X7.  Could not open your plan, it must be X8.  I have run into the newel post spacing thing before.  If it is critical in its placement, I ended up manually placing them and creating the panel from various other methods that avoid a system provided spacing.  I have heard others on the forum using two stairs for doing this.  Each stair is doing a different function.  Maybe one could be a default rail and handrail with all the materials set to "open-no material" except for the handrail.  The other stair could provide the panel below.  Maybe someone else had a more elegant solution.

You are using a symbol for your panel.  The top and bottom rails you have are part of the symbol.  These are designed to butt up against your newel post and can't be extended to go over the top.

Instead of using a symbol for your panel, choose "Solid (With Rails)" for your panel type.  You will now be able to have the top rail go over the posts and use a custom profile for your top rail if you want.

You may also want to do the same thing for your railings around the stairwell on the floor above so that they will all match.

......Instead of using a symbol for your panel, choose "Solid (With Rails)" for your panel type.  You will now be able to have the top rail go over the posts and use a custom profile for your top rail if you want......

I believe he wants a glass railing,  your solution precludes him from using a glass railing.

..... a glass panel railing for stairs.  If I use a wall that follows the stairs I

don't get an option for rail to pass over newel and I get breaks in the top rail at each panel.......

To review,  a glass railing with rail over newel.

Fun fact...you can change the panel to be any material you want, including glass.

Obviously,  but do you still get a top rail,  a bottom rail and newels?  Can you hold the bottom of the rail  up 4"?

Come on guys,  Gavin Dennis Gavin wants a glass rail with newels and rails going over the end newel.  If he can do it,  please post a  plan showing how he should go about it.  If he can't do it,  let's stop wasting time and explain a possible work around.

I do not think he can do what he wants without the workaround.

This does not need to be complicated.  These are basic options in the railing dialog that have been there for years now.

Please reread my post #8 above and then look at Michael's picture in post #15.

Or, for those that still need more help, take a look at the attached plan and picture created in X7.

Mea culpa,  I learn something new everyday,  thank you,  however,  I am not sure we have been able to meet Gavin  Dennis Gavin's req's.

Maybe I should say,  I can not do it.

I hate to be a poo poo head,  but there must be an easier way to organize the railing specs.  It seems as if I spend an inordinate amount of time clicking boxes to try to figure out the railings.....  there must be a more user friendly layout for this....  think Steve Jobs....