Replace Top Rail On Deck Rail

Deckguy

How do I replace the top and bottom rail for a deck railing?  I have imported the rails and newel post and saved them under millwork.  I was able to change the newel, but when I select the replace top rail, it does not let me get into my user folder to select the rail profile.  I can get a profile from the core library, but not the one from sketchup that I added.

How do I replace the top and bottom rail for a deck railing?  I have imported the rails and newel post and saved them under millwork.  I was able to change the newel, but when I select the replace top rail, it does not let me get into my user folder to select the rail profile.  I can get a profile from the core library, but not the one from sketchup that I added.

If you got it from Sketchup, its probably a 3D object.  What Chief uses for the rails is a profile.  You'll need to create a 2D CAD line profile of the railing you want to use...or possibly a 3D moulding, but a 3D object won't work. 

Top of your screen...Help>Launch Help.  You may find this to be an utterly invaluable tool.  Search Molding and read up on Molding Profiles and Molding Polylines.  Really pretty easy.  In the meantime,  can you attach the Sketchup model you were referring to?  You may need to zip it before attaching. 

I was hoping you would attach the actual Sketchup model (as opposed to a screenshot) however, from looking at the picture, I can see that it would not require a complex 3D moulding and would only need a 2D CAD profile.  Place that piece of railing into your plan, take a cross section camera view through the middle of it, and create a CAD Detail From View.  Make sure the CAD lines, arcs, splines, etc. that from your moulding profile form a complete polyline (as opposed to separate segments), and then select that polyline and Add To Library.  You can now use that moulding for your railing.