How Do You Change Dimension Call-Out Without Moving Wall

capitaldesigns

I'm new to CA. I am using S-7

Is there a way to change the dimension call-out without moving the object the dimension is referencing?

I come from an AutoCAD background and in AutoCAD this is very easy.

When I am placing dimensions on the floor plans, sections and elevation I will get a lot of small fraction that I do

not want on the plans. When I dimension an elevation or section I do not want an over all height to read 18'-11 15/16".

I would rather it read 19'-0". In AutoCAD I can select the dimension text and change it to what ever I want it to say.

In CA I can not figure out how to change the dimension text. Does anyone know how to change the dimension text without

having to change the height of a roof up or down 1/16".

Thanks,

Mike

Use point to point dimension tool

Start where you want to, draw the line to any length but hit tab before you release the mouse button.

Enter the length you want in the Y position, click OK and you have it.

Otherwise the model must be exact.

In X8 you can select the dim. and open the DBX go to segment and select blank segment, then add whatever dim. you want in the space. Not accurate though.

Perry (or anyone else),

When you specify a Blank Segment, does the dimension line still display, or do you loose the dimension text AND the dimension line? 

In the attached pic, I loose the dimension text AND the dimension line - I'm not sure that we are meant to loose the dim line?

And another thing while we are at it.

In the help file, the Dimension Line Specification dbx is a small box with no wasted space.

Compare it to my dbx, which has a lot of wasted space.

I can't resize any smaller to get rid of the wasted space.

Why is it so?

post-106-0-06558300-1453072245_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-72958400-1453072258_thumb.jpg

In X8 you can select the dim. and open the DBX go to segment and select blank segment, then add whatever dim. you want in the space. Not accurate though.

Perry,

I just reread this post of yours.

Can you really make a blank segment AND add dimension text to the blank segment.

Ahh, I reread your post again.

I think you are saying that you can make a blank segment and then add the dimension text by using the text tool - not the Dimension Line Specification dbx? 

You lose the dimension line in the string. The nice part is that the adjacent lines will still maintain their alignment if you adjust the offset. When I am working on dimensions that I need to "hack" I will make a very small cad line and move the dimension to that line. Then click on the line and type in the dimension that you want.