Polished Concrete Interior Floors

Paramount

I'm finishing all floors with a stain and high gloss polish. What would be the best approach? I don't want it in my garages or lanscape walkways, just normal there. The only way I can see is create a 1/16" finished floor and apply a color and texture from the library although I cant find any vendors in the bonus or mfg catalogs. Won't that raise all my elevations 1/16 which won't be the case since I am polishing a 4" slab? 

Is there a way to use the eye droper to apply a finish to the floor from an image I find online? I tired to import one into my plan but no go? 

you can create a material called polished concrete.  USing an image from on line all depsned on the size of the sample

as well as it's tilability.  If you can get a good image you can tile it in a paint program. No need to have additional 1/16" if you

make polished concrete as mentuoned above and apply to concrete slab on any thickness. 

Thanks Dennis, here are some images by order of liking. Can you please attach a slab in an X7 plan so I can see how you did it. 

As much reading as I've done on materials I'm still confused and I got a home show coming I hope to put this plan on public display. I'd like the flexibility of applying different finishes to different rooms

post-5962-0-64647000-1452885187_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-07582300-1452885393_thumb.jpg

Terry,

First off those images are no good for making textures/materials.  SHots need to be taken head on

and with as little inconsistency in the finish/appearance as possible.  i.e. no glare/reflectiion on a portion of the image

That uneveness of look will repeat it self throughout the tiled material.

YOu might be able to recreate those looks but it will take some time.  You might consider using tiles from Dal tile

and enlarging their size for the main field.  the Cross pieces wojld be another material set to another item like a polyline solid(s)

and then rotating and copying to create cross pattern.  THEN when it is all assembled you could take a shot of it from overhead

if created in plan view and then use THAT photo to created the material.

Are you still with me?  IT takes a little time and trial and error.  I think setting the properties to polished would probably get the look

I see in the photos you attached. 

I really don't have time today to work on that but maybe you can give it a try.  IT will be trial and error.

Ok, I'll see if I can figure out what you're saying. The contractor I am considering says they have some samples in their store and around town I can get into. Would it better to take a photo of the one I like as you described above (taken head on and with as little inconsistency in the finish/appearance as possible.  i.e. no glare/reflectiion on a portion of the image) if I can find it and try it? 

Dennis, never mind I found a video that shows how to create a material from an image, you now make sense. I tired it with one of those photos and what a mess, lol, but know I know what to do. https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=material

Off to learn material regions and figure out what Kirk is suggesting. 

Thanks for setting me on the right paths guys :)

morning,

download Chief's "Boral library" which has a great selection of exposed, honed or polished concrete finishes.

this is in the Materials & Surfaces section & will import into your Manufacturers library.

https://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/library&search=&x=0&y=0&x=true&soft_1=1&hid_soft_1=1&hid_version_4=1&utm_source=Chief%20Architect%20Premier%2017.3.2.2%20x64&utm_medium=software&utm_campaign=Resource:%20content

enjoy. Brian

Material region polylines can help here. The cross sections can be one material region, or a combination of regions. The large squares would be separate material regions.

See attached. I tried this and it works if you are adding a top coat to concrete like Boral aggregate/die mix. It does not cut concrete only if you have a finished floor thickness to cut. It is working without changing my wall elevations but alot of work manipulating polylines, Dal tile same you need a floor thickness to apply it to.

In the case where we want to dye stain and polish with a sander a 4" slab surface different colors/textures without adding a floor thickness to the slab I still have not figured out?  

post-5962-0-23247500-1452985824_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-72757100-1452985833_thumb.jpg

Dennis, problem is there is no way to section off different matl's for rooms, or in the same room as I show in the pic above. Floor matl regions is working, I made the thickness 1/16 and it's not affecting my wall elevations. I can't tell what it's doing to furniture but I don't think if it raises them a 1/16 will matter.....I just wish the floor matl region tool would cut into a slab like it does a finished floor thickness. That would be more realistic of a dye and polish vs a topper I am having to render. 

BTW: To anyone trying this Boralstone is for finished concrete as a topper not all options on their website are available in the catalog. It be nice to have some other manufactures.