Angled Wall Dimension As Slope

bhiggins

Hi all, quick question here.  I'm trying to create a pool pictured here.  For the angled wall parts, is there a way to create the wall using "rise and run" of the exterior dimensions instead of calculating the specific angle and the length of the wall?  Thanks!

post-8065-0-79205300-1452799788_thumb.png

I've been trying to build it using the dimensions, however, if I specify the angle wall x and y values, chief refuses to build the walls at my exact values.  If I specify 7'10", the program will only do 7'-9 7/8" for example.  If I do 4'4" for the x value, chief goes to 4'-4 1/2".  I'm thinking chief doesn't like odd angles and is snapping to the nearest whole angle?  This is very frustrating for such a simple operation.

For the angled wall parts, is there a way to create the wall using "rise and run" of the exterior dimensions instead of calculating the specific angle and the length of the wall?

Yes, you can do that.

Open the wall dbx.

Down in the bottom left hand corner, click Number Style.

In the Angle Style section, check Pitch, OK.

Back in the Wall Specification dbx you can enter the wall angle as rise/run.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you can do that.

Open the wall dbx.

Down in the bottom left hand corner, click Number Style.

In the Angle Style section, check Pitch, OK.

Back in the Wall Specification dbx you can enter the wall angle as rise/run.

You know Glenn, in all the years I've used Chief I don't believe I've ever once knowingly clicked on that Number Style button. 

Not sure whether or not I'll ever use it, but that is a very interesting little nugget.  Thanks : )

Michael,

i's particularly good for times when you need to enter something like a surveyors information that comes to you in a different format than your defaults.... 

Or in a case like this!!

It doesn't affect the plan at all as it only applies to the dbx's.

Thank you all for your help.  I particularly like the idea of drawing construction lines for maximum precision.  I had to disable angle snaps in the preferences menu for it to snap properly, this was my problem all along.   Sometimes Chief feels too loosy goosey and you need to think of creative ways to be extra precise.