Archive Preference?

HumbleChief

I have mine to set to "previous save"

I don't use the archive system

I prefer to do "save as" and do them often

perhaps every few minutes if I am in high design mode

certainly after finishing a task I'd rather not have to do over again

Lew

I understand Ctrl+S and save often but that's not the same as the archive function - is it?

If you have archive set to once a day then even if you Ctrl+S every couple minutes the archive will only be updated per the setting in preferences as I understand it.

When Chief crashes, which is extremely rare, and there is note stating there's a newer version other than the file you're trying to open, is Chief now accessing the Archives? Or some other location that Ctrl+S places the file?

You have it right Larry-Ctrl+S is save- nothing to do with archives. That's why I set it for hourly- I can hit save without thinking before doing a "save as" go on for a while only to discover I need to go back beyond the undo number.

Thanks Mark. I was always told that any back up system is designed to lose you as much work as that back up timing is set to. i.e. If you back up once a week be prepared to lose a week's worth of work, once a day be prepared to lose a day's worth of work, an hour etc.

Just wondering why one wouldn't use the previous save option as that should get you the most recent 'archive' possible - true?

I'm asking because I went looking for some archives (it's rare that i need them) and it just didn't seem like they we all that useful/recent.

Thanks.