Help with deck plank orientation

BeeoHat

Go to solution Solved by KilgoreTrout,

post-567-0-05635300-1398369715_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to change the deck planking so the orientation will follow the house contours. I've used a Room Divider to section off each portion of the deck where I want the plank orientation to change. In the Room Spec...Deck...Plank Direction, I've unchecked Automatic, and entered 90 degrees for the first right-angle turn in my deck, but it doesn't work.

Sure I'm missing something simple :(

I would place a "Room Divider" at each break and make it a Porch without a ceiling or a roof.  Then I would use one of the Wood Plank Materials for the Floor Surface.  You will need to make copies of that material and edit the angle for each different direction.  Using a "Deck Room" in this case is not very easy and the framing can be done manually better than the Auto Deck Framing.

BTW, you will need to specify the Porch Room Structure to be framing instead of concrete.

• Solution

I would divide the rooms like it looks like you have done.  Then, in order to get the deck planking to go the directions you want it, you need to trick Chief into treating them as separate deck areas.  I do this by changing the floor height by 1/16".  As long as the floor heights are different then Chief won't join the framing.