Auto Interior Dims A Mess

tahoebrian5

Im assuming I've got some defaults set wrong somewhere but I cant seem to find any setting to fix this. It seems like its dimensioning the same thing multiple times all over and the end result is an unusable mess. Also it seemed to get worse when I added more floors for some reason, but it was still a mess when I just had a single floor albeit not as bad. Help!

auto inteior dims.pdf

Brian,

Just one man's opinion here, but I rarely use auto interior dimensions specifically for the reason you bring up.  When I have used auto dimensions I usually end up deleting multiple strings and/or nodes (extensions).  You can try messing with the default settings a little but I personally haven't found a way around extra dimensions to at least some extent...not really sure there is a way around it entirely.  If you think about it, the program really has no way of knowing what you do and do not want to display. 

I think the best you can do to clean it up a bit is to increase the "Minimum Area" in your default settings (maybe start with 100 square feet and go from there) and uncheck "Overall Dimension".  Under Locate Objects>Openings you could also uncheck "Casing" to further reduce the extra and/or "duplicate" dimensions. 

Hmmm, does no one use the auto interior dims? The auto exterior dims work fairly well so it seems that that interior ones should at least be close to as good.

Tried them only once, never understood what they were for because they certainly didn't work for interior dimensioning. Maybe someone figured them out but I didn't want to waste my time.

If you click in a single room, say the bedroom, and then choose the auto interior dimension it will place  dimensions in that room for all walls.  You may only want it for two walls; which you can delete some of those auto generated dimensions and then modify the remaining dimensions as you need

post-14-0-17892800-1452784240_thumb.jpg

My experience is if I hate my client or I hate myself I use auto-interior-dimensions tool. You get too many unnecessary duplicate dimensions and so creates a lot of work culling them. When I want interior dimensions, I manually create them because the auto tool for interior is a disaster or at a minimum a lot of Make-Work to fix. It would be a God send if they could be moderated so that their output is useful with a minimum of after-creation-editing.

DJP

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will try the single room once before I give up.

Just a quick thought here, but as popular as it has become in recent years to skip reading "the manual" (there are technically 3 things that could essentially be considered manuals), some people may have overlooked the Delete Objects tool (Edit>Delete Objects or Control+Space).  You can delete all automatic dimensions for a single floor or the entire plan...all with a couple clicks. 

By doing that you can very quickly and easily try a whole bunch of different settings and techniques to see if you get get automatic interior dimensions to work better for you. 

Great tip Michael - have you tried it?

It occurred to me that you must have asked for some reason so I went back to double check what you might have stumbled into and I realized that I've never actually tried using the Delete Objects tool for a single room so I edited my post to reflect that.  Haven't messed with it much yet, but in just quickly trying I wasn't able to make Delete Objects work for dimensions in a single room.  I could make it work for some objects but not for dimensions.  Maybe I'll explore more later, but honestly never needed to delete objects from a single room, so for me its currently a non issue. 

By doing that you can very quickly and easily try a whole bunch of different settings and techniques to see if you get get automatic interior dimensions to work better for you. 

I don't mean the delete objects tool, and I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I just tried again, using the delete objects tool, and a "bunch of different settings and techniques"  to adjust settings for Auto Interior Dims and still get a useless mess of dimensions, doubled up and unreadable with all the clutter.

MAYBE there's a way to get it to work efficiently but if there is, shouldn't all of the users (some expert) who have posted saying it's basically worthless have access to that secret handshake? Why isn't there just one post and then many helpful posts about how to get it to work better? Why is the only real tip we get from Chief is to check Anno Sets with no real clue as to why or what settings might be used to get better results?

I tried it once and it was useless - to me. I tried it again - it's still useless - to me, and I will never use it again until there is a simple explanation as to how the dims can be regulated or the feature is made to work in a manner that matches an Architect's/Designer's real world use of the tool. This is not the only tool that Chief automates then let's die without finding out how the users actually use it.

If you have a method that works and gives you readable usable interior dimensions, why do't I? I've used the software 15 years and it's either too complex for me, or the technique is too arcane or non-existent for me to discover. I suspect the latter.

I don't mean the delete objects tool, and I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I just tried again, using the delete objects tool, and a "bunch of different settings and techniques" to adjust settings for Auto Interior Dims and still get a useless mess of dimensions, doubled up and unreadable with all the clutter.

MAYBE there's a way to get it to work efficiently but if there is, shouldn't all of the users (some expert) who have posted saying it's basically worthless have access to that secret handshake? Why isn't there just one post and then many helpful posts about how to get it to work better? Why is the only real tip we get from Chief is to check Anno Sets with no real clue as to why or what settings might be used to get better results?

I tried it once and it was useless - to me. I tried it again - it's still useless - to me, and I will never use it again until there is a simple explanation as to how the dims can be regulated or the feature is made to work in a manner that matches an Architect's/Designer's real world use of the tool. This is not the only tool that Chief automates then let's die without finding out how the users actually use it.

If you have a method that works and gives you readable usable interior dimensions, why do't I? I've used the software 15 years and it's either too complex for me, or the technique is too arcane or non-existent for me to discover. I suspect the latter.

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about Delete Objects. To answer your question though, as I stated in post #5 above, I don't personally use auto interior dimensions either. I don't personally think its even possible to improve on the tool though. As I suggested, you can clean it up a bit by increasing square footage setting and deselecting everything except Walls, Surfaces. I still prefer to just use manual dimensions though. I know what I want dimensioned...Chief DOESN'T.

I set up some annosets so each will dimension locating different objects- pull a string for wall cabs, another for base, room, openings  casing, framing...).

Not automatic but a couple of clicks and get what I need with little to no delete needed.

I set up some annosets so each will dimension locating different objects- pull a string for wall cabs, another for base, room, openings  casing, framing...).

Not automatic but a couple of clicks and get what I need with little to no delete needed.

That's what I do too, doesn't take much time to manually dim the interior walls.

I don't think so either, but I'm all ears for any suggestions that might work.

Other than what I've mentioned above, the only other thing I can think of is this...change your defaults for Auto Interior Dimensions so that they're placed on a unique layer (makes them easier to group select and modify) and when you originally place them, use a small dimension size (makes them easier to sort out). Then place them room by room (less overwhelming) cleaning up, modifying, and moving to appropriate layer(s) as you go through the plan.