Buying Recommendation For Pc Desktop Computer For Chief Architect?

orencons

post-2559-0-44754500-1457739164_thumb.jpg

This is my Riverstone Ray Trace

1200 X 745

Uniform Intensity 1.0

No Photon Mapping

10 Passes

Total time = 55:41

Almost an hour on my

Imac mid 2011

Intel i5

16gig ram

AMD Radeon 512MB

(my plans usually only take 5 to 8 minutes, obviously quite a few gazillion less surfaces in my plans. lol)

I see why this isn't a popular exhibition.  It's pretty humbling if you don't have a monster machine. Although I can honestly say that I never experienced Chief as a laggy program on my computer.

I never felt the need to upgrade.

Thanks for posting. Will discuss the differences later but it is not the number of surfaces.

The sample I posted was 1200 X 612 with photon mapping turned on. If you have it turned off the exterior lights will not show properly. If you run again just do 1 pass, the time per pass is exactly the same so 10 passes = time for 1 pass X 10.

Graham

• Upvote 1

Just be careful when interperting those system/component performance numbers. That #6 unit is heavily tricked out. You can use the Baseline options to locate and organize the comparative systems or it may be best to through-out the top two and bottom two to get a better picture, especially when one really jumps out way ahead of the pack.

Graham

Here are the passmark results for my pc. I7-5960x Clocked to 4.5 Ghz.. PCI-e NvMe c-drive.

Notice the drive speed @ 13633. A normal ssd is about 3500-3900. PCI-e ROCKS!!!

I'm a firm believer that when I upgrade I go to about the top of the line. I run HUGE drawings. The one i am in now is about 25 MB and only into the end of preliminary's. No framing, etc.

post-1731-0-81034100-1458154454_thumb.jpg

post-1731-0-61785900-1458154462_thumb.jpg

NICE! That's almost as fast as the fastest Xeon. Pretty impressive.

4.5 is a pretty ripping OC. Any cooling problems? Which mother board? Coolers? Thanks

X99 deluxe mb. Off the shelf water cooler. I had run up to 4.6 and moved back to 4.5 . No problems. Well except maybe me. Computer cant fix that. LOL

Here are the passmark results for my pc. I7-5960x Clocked to 4.5 Ghz.. PCI-e NvMe c-drive.

Notice the drive speed @ 13633. A normal ssd is about 3500-3900. PCI-e ROCKS!!!

I'm a firm believer that when I upgrade I go to about the top of the line. I run HUGE drawings. The one i am in now is about 25 MB and only into the end of preliminary's. No framing, etc.

Impressive - Results really show what those new PCL-e SSD's can do. Makes a regular SSD look like an HDD.

Graham

Just be careful when interperting those system/component performance numbers. That #6 unit is heavily tricked out. You can use the Baseline options to locate and organize the comparative systems or it may be best to through-out the top two and bottom two to get a better picture, especially when one really jumps out way ahead of the pack.

Graham

From what I am seeing #6 is a pretty typical I-7 -5820 intel processor. The average cpu mark is 12991 the benchmark for #6 was  12868

Here's a quick cost breakdown of one option with a 5960X CPU, gtx 980ti etc. With a new PCI M.2 ssd add about $350 - $500. Build it and overclock it yourself.

attachicon.gifcomputer wish list.PNG

Larry,

One of the things that speed up the system is the Intel 750 pci-express 3.0 400gb drive or equal. This speeds up undos, etc.

Anyone that is looking to upgrade to a new system needs to look seriously at this type of drive. Cpu's are fast but one of the major slowdowns is the i/o to the hard drive. This solves the issue.

Larry,

One of the things that speed up the system is the Intel 750 pci-express 3.0 400gb drive or equal. This speeds up undos, etc.

Anyone that is looking to upgrade to a new system needs to look seriously at this type of drive. Cpu's are fast but one of the major slowdowns is the i/o to the hard drive. This solves the issue.

I did notice that - Thanks Ken.