Trusses At Overframing

tahoebrian5

I've got 2 issues that are stumping me at the moment. First on the truss framing. I want the main span trusses to ignore the dormer except to have the tails cut short and then I will specify over-framing in that area. Is there a work around for this? (see the pdf)

Second issue.. take a look at the same pdf. The stemwall in the porch area is dropped down. How do I go about having the stemwall ignore the porch? Should I rebuild the foundation without the porch in a separate file and then paste them in to the main file or is there a direct way?

trusses and stemwall issue.pdf

How I handle the first issue is to set the overhang of the roof plane and place one truss and check that it does not have the tail.  Select the truss and open the truss dbx and lock the truss envelope, then Multicopy that truss as many times as req'd.  BTW, I use solids to model the overbuilt area, either in Chief or other software.  It is not all that difficult, but there are quite a few steps involved.

From my experience, planning out the steps req'd to get the truss configuration that you want is important.  I believe that one need's to learn when to cut their losses when working with the truss tool, and try other approaches or work arounds to get the job done.  Chief actually does trusses very well, so long as you stay within the confines of the tool.  I on the other hand, do not like staying within the confines of the truss tool.  So I have to find other methods that work.

Hope that works for you.  Depending on the plan, Chief's trusses can be a bit difficult to get just right, even if you edit them.  There are several ways to go about getting the trusses to be accurate, but that requires one jump through a few hoops, and or use other programs depending on the final output you want.  For 3D PDF output, the geometry of Chief's trusses are not that great.

Probably best to post the plan to get help with the porch.  I have to hit the road right now.  Good luck.

Brian,

Without your Plan it's difficult to say exactly what's wrong with the Porch.

However, there are some dependencies which need to be sequenced to get the best results:

1.  Set the Room Types first.

2.  Check the Floor Elevations in the Room dbx(s) to make sure everything is correct.

3.  Build the Foundation - check that it looks like what you want and make any changes needed

4.  Build the Framing.

Done in that order everything should be correct.  Otherwise, some things may be inconsistent. 

I like to leave the Framing to as late in the project as possible.  In the actual construction #3 & 4 are the first things that happen but in Chief you need to follow the above sequence - or you will have to go back and go thru it again.