Frame Details Not Showing In Wall Detail

Don_Straub_Const

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I have an exterior wall that I have placed a 5'0 slider in. I opened the object changed the framing to a 4x10 header and 2 trimmers. When I select the wall and open wall details it still only shows 1 trimmer and the header size has not changed. Please advise me how to get the changes to appear in the .wall detail. 

• 1 year later...

I have a bit of a different wall detail question.  I have created an eight foot opening in a wall and used CAD tools to draw a steel header and steel posts and would like to see this in the wall detail.  The lumber shows up, but not the steelwork.   The steel layer was set to Framing, beams steel which is also set to display in the Wall Detail Set.  

Any suggestions?

You can draw with cad onto your wall detail and label if you have already built your steel in 3D.  Or you can convert and edit a stud or lintel with some auto profile options and then just paint in 3D.  Sometimes I will mark and dimension beam intersections etc, just so things make sense on the wall detail.

Hi Chopsaw,

I created the objects in 3d views by creating a CAD box, then converted those into solids.  Set the layer for the object to Framing, beam (or post) steel.

but they don't show up in the wall detail.  I really don't want to manually draw them over again in different views, too many chances for errors.

Maybe I should do it all over again by copying a stud or ceiling plate and modifying properties.

Depends on how accurate you want to be or need to be.  Likely you have done it the best way with solids in 3D depending on the build.

So if you can illustrate with line work and fills in the wall detail that should work fine for you just with cad and notes. But by all means open a test plan and explore the possibilities in the wall detail DBX.

Doug,

To date I have yet to find a way to "trick" Chief and put anything other than general framing members and CAD into a wall framing detail.  I think your best bet at this point would be to do this:

• Create an elevation view that includes those object you have already drawn up.  Set this camera up on the INTERIOR side of the wall in question.
  • Create a CAD Detail From View of that camera.
  • Trace over the line work as necessary to create some new closed polylines to represent those objects and add fills as necessary.  NOTE:  Depending on the object type you used to create those objects (slabs for example) you may be able to simply take a cross section and use the Auto Detail tool to automatically produce some filled polylines for yourself.
  • Copy and Paste Hold Position all the CAD items you need into your wall framing detail.

Next time you run into this you may be better off drawing any necessary items right in the wall framing detail using framing members if possible (which will then also show in 3D). 

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1